Andreea
Copenhagen

Norway

West coast Norway by car

Next summer I'm planning to go to Norway with a car from Denmark. I know Norway is expensive and I'd like to  make it as cheap as possible for accommodation and places to eat but I don't want to miss any experiences.

We were thinking about 2 weeks

4 person (me and my sisters and the boyfriends )

We want to see the best of the fjords.

Any suggestions from your experience??

Thanks !

Thomas from Oslo

Hey Andreea,

Norway is indeed expensive but if you use a tent then things become cheaper... In Norway you are allowed as a hiker, or biker to put up your tent anywhere as long as you keep a distance from houses  and build up area's (150m or so).

So if you plan to reduce cost and experience Norway, try wild camping in the mountains around the fjords. If the weather is not too rainy, than this can be a really nice experience. Especially if one of your friends knows how to fish and prepare fish. Most lakes in the Norwegian mountains have trout, but you do need to get a fishing permit.

If wild camping is not your thing than try to find the smaller basic campings away from the tourist hot spots such as Preikestolen those are ususually not so expensive.

For instance a really tiny campsite between the rocks can be found close to Rekefjord on the Fv33 road which is a side road of the route 44 road.

So where to go with your road trip, in two weeks you can cover quite a bit of ground, but Norway is nicer outside your car. So do not plan too big a distance, since it will take time to drive around the fjords.

I would take a ferry from Denmark to Kristiansand, and start following the west-coast up to Stavanger. This piece of coastline is not so impressive, but nice to get used to all the winding roads. Go see Preikestolen, since it is an impressive piece of rock and do take proper boots for that hike.

From Stavanger you can decide to go island hopping in the direction of Haugesund, or you take the winding road number 13 in the direction of Odda. This later road will take you more into the mountains, but it will save you paying for ferries. Odda is located in the Hardangerfjord which is quite impressive. After that you can continue north all the way to the Sognefjord and on the way there take the Flåm railway line.

For your return trip I would take an inland route to Kristiansand via route 9 passing Evje where you can find a few places for rafting such as  at http://trollaktiv.no/ 

I would think that would be more than enough for two weeks. If you want more, I can recommend Ålesund, and the area around the Geirangerfjord, but that is a lot more driving.

1. Preikestolen (attraction)
  2. Rekefjord (city)
  3. Kristiansand (city)
  4. Stavanger (city)
  5. Haugesund (city)
  6. Odda (metro area)
  7. Sognefjord (region)
  8. Flåm (city)
  9. Evje (city)
  10. Ålesund (attraction)
  11. Geirangerfjord (attraction)

Signe from Bergen

Thomas has a great answer! I would definitely follow his tips.

Also, some general tips for saving money on food:

Most restaurants are quite expensive, so for breakfast and lunch I recommend buying food at local convenience stores. You can buy bread, fruit, vegetables and different spreads to make good sandwiches. In Norway almost anything you can imagine putting on a piece of bread can be found in a tube - cheese, chocolate spread, mayonnaise, you name it. The cheapest places to get food are stores called Kiwi, Rema 1000 and Rimi. 

So if you are going on a ferry ride or a long drive, bring some food and make some sandwiches on the road!

Also, remember that you can drink tap water everywhere you go in Norway - it is just as good as the bottled water. So remember to bring an empty bottle that you can refill anywhere.

1. Norway (country)

Kirsten from Chicago

Thomas has the best answer. There was camping everywhere in Norway and it was so expensive to eat in the restaurants. You are better off to camp and cook instead.