stephanie
Nixa

Norway, Oslo, Bergen

Planning a trip to Norway...any suggestions??? Tips would be appreciated!

Going to Norway soon and we want to take a train from Oslo to Bergen to see the town and fjords around there. Wondering if we have to book the train ahead or can we buy the tickets that day? What are the must see's? Anyone have recommendations of where to stay? We only have a couple of days there. I've seen plenty of tour companies with several different options but wondering if we can/should go it on our own.

Thank you!!! 

Thomas from Oslo

Go and see the Vigelandsparken in Oslo and visit the The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History. Both are nice.

For the train, I would make a reservation at the website www.nsb.no so you have a seat.

1. Vigelandsparken (attraction)
  2. The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History (attraction)

Signe from Bergen

You can buy the train tickets the same day, but they are usually cheaper if you buy them ahead of time online. Have you planned how long you are staying in the different places? If you want to really see the beauty of Norway I recommend that you spend more time on the west coast than in Oslo. When you are out west you can rent a car or take ferries that go through the fjords. Even though the train ride from Oslo to Bergen is beautiful you don't really experience the fjords the same way you would by boat. When you are in Bergen you can go on several ferries or tourist boats that will take you to small towns by the fjords. For more information you can visit the tourist office.

Also, a small tip: I recommend that you bring your own food for the train ride. It takes about seven hours, and the cafeteria has few options and both food and drinks are very expensive. If you buy some food before boarding the train you will have a much better experience! The same goes for boats/ferries.

Another tip: You can dring tap water anywhere in Norway, it it completely safe and just as good ad the water you buy. So for boat rides and sightseeing in general you should just bring a bottle and you can get refills almost anywhere.

1. Oslo (city)
  2. Bergen (city)

In Oslo, make sure to do a fjord tour (usually 60-90 minutes) but it gives you a sense of how difficult commuting might be by car! and the The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History is quite entertaining.

1. The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History (attraction)

Melissa from Portland

I would book in advance. Just to be safe. Hotel wise, my parents and I stayed in Clarion Collection Hotel Havnekontoret and thought it was a great place.

1. Clarion Collection Hotel Havnekontoret (hotel)