Sérgio
Lisbon

Norway, Oslo, Svalbard, Kirkenes, Alta, Tromso

One week in Norway in February - where to go?

Which are the best places to go to in February in Norway for 9 days, starting and ending in Oslo? We are 2 guys and want to see northern lights,do some snow activities, like dog or reindeer sledging, and snow mobile. Svalbard? Kirkenes? Alta? Tromso? Not in a very large budget.

I was going to recommend renting a car and doing a circle starting in Oslo, going to Lillehammer(the former Olympic village), Flåm, Bergenand back to Oslo. But if you want to see the Northern Lights in Tromso, that's not going to work. You may have to grab a flight to Tromso when you get to Oslo, and then spend all your time driving around that area.

The thing about Norway is that it's expensive. And since it's winter, you don't have the option to camp unless you are seriously hardcore in your willingness to deal with cold.

1. Lillehammer (city)
  2. Flåm (city)
  3. Bergen (city)

Thomas from Oslo

If seeing the northern lights is the main goal, than I would fly to Tromso and forget about Oslo. The weather has to be on your side to see the N lights, so take the time for that. In Tromsø you can experience winter in Norway properly. I have heard that you can go sleedging there, but you should check that.

1. Tromso (city)

Janelle from Salzburg

I've not been there yet, but when I go I'm planning on following this: http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes

It's basically a series of structures for tourists to stop and take in the scenery, all designed by renowned architects. I thought it would be a really fantastic way to plot our stops!