Mohsin
United Kingdom

Norway, Finland

Finding fuel stations in Norway and Finland?

I will be riding my motorcycle to the northernmost point of Norway and then South through Finland in June this year (2015). My bike only has a range of about 200 km (130 miles). I would like to journey along the most scenic and perhaps remote areas.  Do I need to worry about lack of fuel stations and how can I find out the locations of these fuel stations so I can plan my route?

Hjörtur from Copenhagen

There can easily be 200 km or close to that between fuel stations. I drove last spring from Skibotn to Kilpisjarvi and then onwards to Kiruna. The stretch from Kilpisjärvi to the Swedish border had no service at all (140km if I recall correctly). If you go further north, like to Kirkenes before heading into Norway I imagine you can have even longer stretches between fuel stations, so as previously stated, plan your route, fill up when you see a gas station and have an extra tank for the longest stretches. I know some people replace the fuel tank on their bike with a bigger one so they don't run into problems.

But this is the beauty of Lapland. It's just you and the other reindeers roaming the wild :)

1. Skibotn (attraction)
  2. Kilpisjarvi (city)
  3. Kiruna (city)
  4. Kirkenes (attraction)
  5. Lapland (attraction)

Melissa from Portland

Hi Mohsin,

I think the trick here is to plan your route carefully. Most gas companies have lists of stations on their sites--for instance, here is the one for Esso: http://www.essofuelfinder.co.uk/station-locations/norway I think if you just plan ahead you'll be ok :)