Yvette

Normandy, Marrakech, Istanbul, Bari, Naples, Marseille, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester

Traveling Three Months Solo - in Wheelchair

Will be traveling January to April 2015. My goal is to travel through Northern Africa, Western Turkey, Southern Italy (Naples), Marseille, Normandy Portugal, Gibraltar, Cuba, England (Cardiff, Manchester), Scotland (Glasgow), Netherlands, and Belgium.  

I may make all or some of these destinations, any advice that any of you might offer would be greatly appreciated.  

I will be traveling solo in my wheelchair, any knowledge of handicapped access able sites, what the access of the sidewalks, stores, museums, etc.  

My style of travel is take each day as it comes, rest when needed.  

All the not to be missed sites. Locally owned restaurants you enjoyed. B&Bs that were memorable and that have ground floor rooms or an elevator.  

This trip has been my dream for decades. Which I have saved for over those decades. I am on a budget, however I can afford an occasional splurge.  I had been waiting until  I felt better. Then decided nothing was going to change; it was now or never.  

Please Share Your Knowledge & Advice

Sergio from Naples, Italy

You have to visit museum of Capodimonte- Capodimonte Museum

1. Capodimonte Museum (attraction)

Wow Yvette, what a trip! Ask for Southern Italy, if I were you I would take a coach bus from Rome and base yourself out of Sorrento. If you fly into Naples International Airport, again, with your wheelchair I think you would be more comfortable traveling to Sorrento by shuttle as the train has wheelchair access in the front car but it is a mob scene and full of pickpockets. Sorrento is a lovely town to base out of. You could go to Pompei, spend time in Naples, and go to Ischia or Capri. From the travel style that you described, I think you would truly love basing yourself in Sorrento. Just make sure if you go to Naples that you go to the Naples National Archaeological Museum and see the naughty room!

2. Sorrento (city)
  3. Naples International Airport (attraction)
  4. Pompei (city)
  5. Ischia (attraction)
  6. Capri (city)
  7. Naples National Archaeological Museum (attraction)

Tom from Cardiff

Grab some excellent and authentic Italian food Cafe Citta

Petite ground floor restaurant - small so access may be a challenge - generally have to book ahead as it is very popular and especially to ask about wheelchair access - but the food is so worth it! 

All the best

1. Cafe Citta (restaurant)

Janelle from Salzburg

Wow, sounds like an amazing trip! Wish I could help with more, but in Manchester, there's a lovely Edwardian hotel called The Midland that I'm pretty sure is wheel-chair accessible. It's a great place to stay.

1. The Midland (hotel)

Mobile