Melissa
Massachusetts

Non-Zika babymoon suggestions?

Hello all!  My husband and I live in Massachusetts, and are considering a long weekend away in September for our 2nd wedding anniversary/babymoon, as we're expecting our first child December 1st. Obviously with Zika concerns, a lot of nice relaxing beach destinations that had originally been on the top of my list are out of the question, and we only really have a long weekend to go somewhere, so super-long flights aren't realistic either. Where would you suggest we head for the weekend that will be romantic and relaxing? Normally I love to cram a ton of activities and sights into each day when I'm traveling, but that's not what we're looking for this time around. Thank you!!

Marie from Austin (Texas)

Thailand! The bonus is they have great private healthcare so you can have peace of mind. 

Sarah from Decatur

This past fall I went to Bermuda with my husband for our babymoon... it was GREAT! We stayed outside of Hamilton (Bermuda) at Elbow Bay.  Not a Zika area but it feels like a world away with great beaches, a Caribbean vibe (but too far north for any Zika issues) and with lots to explore and sight see. Enjoy and congrats!

1. Bermuda (country)
  2. Hamilton (Bermuda) (attraction)

Nancy from Birmingham (Alabama)

Although my husband and I live near the whitest beaches in America, we have spent our September anniversaries in your area---Nantucket and Newport, which were cooler than Florida and had lots of activities from walking tours, biking, sailing, great restaurants, etc. If money is not an object and you like a 5-star experience without leaving your resort, I'd recommend the Cloister in Sea Island, GA.  Long a honeymoon destination for presidents-to-be, (check out their scrapbook of honeymooners) and still a great southern lady, the Cloister has an abundance of activities, including pampering at their award-winning spa.

1. Nantucket (attraction)
  2. Newport (city)

Elena from Ontario (Canada)

I second the Niagara-on-the-Lake suggestion - or Niagara in general. So much more than just the Falls. Wonderful luxurious hotels, quaint inns and friendly B&Bs. This is a burgeoning wine region, so plan on some winery visits, tastings and first-class dining. Great walking and biking trails - although you probably want to stick to walking! Excellent shopping - Niagara-on-the-Lake and Jordan Village especially. The Shaw Festival Theatre. I could go on and on ... Oh, and the US dollar will go SO much further here!

A from Cleveland

Both Savannah and Charleston would be gorgeous, but may still be hot. I was just up in Niagara on the Lake....such gorgeous area at the wineries, food, quaint little town. Perfect temps for walking around, too. Cheers to a healthy & content little one!

1. Savannah (city)
  2. Charleston (city)

Diane from New York City

San Diego, Los AngelesNewport Beachare all great. If you can afford it a Mediterranean cruise is wonderful.

1. San Diego (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)
  3. Newport Beach (city)

Janelle from Charleston

Melissa, don't live your life in fear.  Even if you were to go to Puerto Rico or Brazil, the chances of  you or your husband contracting Zika are infinitesimal.  The sadistic, scandalmongering American media are making the Zika problem 10,000x worse than it is.  They get off on the power they have to scare and manipulate the public. 

For a 3-4 day weekend from Massachusetts, the best beach destinations are in Florida and the Caribbean. The Bahamas, Turks and CaicosSanibel Island, Saint Martin and Antigua and Barbuda all make great beach holidays.  They all have plenty of all-inclusive type resorts where you can just park yourselves on the beach and veg out all weekend.   

1. The Bahamas (attraction)
  2. Turks and Caicos (country)
  3. Sanibel (attraction)
  4. Saint Martin (attraction)
  5. Antigua and Barbuda (attraction)

Kathleen from Chicago, Illinois

Austin Texas 

Direct flight on Jet Blue from Boston 

Great weather, amazing restaurants, talented musicians and wouldn't break the budget