Drive      Fly      Stay      Login    Signup


General Travel

Nomads, do you have a "home" address?

There are many travelers living nomadically, without having a true home they return to. However, how do you deal with addresses needed for tax reasons, business purposes, and general paperwork? (For example, many nomads run an online business, but obviously, you'll need a business address for email newsletters, business licenses, taxes, etc.). 

How do you handle this?

4 Answers

top answer by
Christopher from Melbourne

I've gone "fully nomad" - I don't have an address in my home country nor do I have anything sitting in storage that I could pull out and set up as a house if I decided to settle back over there.

Thankfully I haven't needed a home address for anything - yet. All the legal paperwork was sorted before I left the country and all follow-up paperwork was able to be done electronically. 

Unfortunately family isn't an option for me but if I did need to have a mailing address in Australia, I'd hire a virtual assistant. 

3 thanks

answered first by

I have decided to have an adress in Denmark wher eI was born and grew up even if I have not lived there for years..

My main reason is that it's a country that has free health care and a state pension for everyone even if you are unemployed your entire life.

All you have to do is be a registered tax payer there.

And while Denmark is a country with very high income tax it's not very high for people like me who only work 5 months a year and make most of my money abroad as that gives me several ways to create tax breaks.

So I still live at home with my father oficially even if it's 26 years ago that I moved away from home and started traveling.

Mentioned in this answer:

  1. Denmark (attraction)
4 thanks

answered by
Kathryn from London

In the US, there are places that you can authorize to receive your mail. They take and upload pics of the envelope, so that you can decide it you want them to open it and scan the contents for you to view or have that item forwarded. Search for 'online mail forwarding' and make sure to find one with a street address, not just a PO box, which can be an issue for some business licenses.

Additionally, while I was traveling constantly, a family member had power of attorney, in order to sign things like tax forms, on my behalf. 

1 thanks

answered by
Scott from Cesky Krumlov

Wow, good question!

I've been a 'nomad' for going on 15 years now. 

My Mom's address "back home" is often good enough.  Or I'll use the address of wherever I'm staying at the time.  Having a friend's permission  to send mail to their house is really helpful.  If they get something that requires urgent attention, they can let you know (if they know where you are!)

For taxes, I have my accountant prepare and file a return for each country I visit.  And by visit, I mean WORK.  No need to do so otherwise.

Keeping a driver's license is harder.  You've go to actually go back there every few years and renew it.

As for business, it can be hard.  But even as a foreigner, I was able to legally open and run an online business in the United States.  Nevada is really business smart.  You can do almost everything online these days.  I did have to go there to setup a business bank account, but everything else was done online or by post.

1 thankscomments (1)

© 2019   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Drive   ·   Fly   ·   Airports   ·   Stay   ·   Search

Login   ·   FAQ   ·   About   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy   ·   Terms