Scott
Austin, Texas

Nicaragua, Managua, Granada (Nicaragua), San Juan del Sur

Best way to get around Nicaragua?

I am heading to Nicargua for 10 Days over the holidays.  we are flying into Managua and travelling to Granada, Ometepe and San Juan del Sur.  Would you rent a car or is there a better way to get around the country?

Dorene from Santa Cruz (Costa Rica)

Scott, the local bus service (Chicken buses) are reasonably priced, get to all destinations  and you get a great flavor of the cultural experience. Totally worth it!  If you aren't that adventurous travel agents can book you on a mini bus to Granada (Nicaragua)Isla De Ometepeand San Juan del Sur

1. Granada (Nicaragua) (city)
  2. Isla De Ometepe (attraction)
  3. San Juan del Sur (city)

Maggie

If you're a rouge and weathered traveler, the buses are definitely your best bet. There are 3 main stations out of Managua. Ask anyone and they will help you. Also pick up a lonely planet book if you can. Still pretty accurate. Most buses have the name of where they are going to and coming from. Oh, and buses are super cheap. 

You can definitely drive to San Juan del Sur and Granada (Nicaragua) if you want to rent a car. All the locals drive there. Roads in the southern part of the country are better kept than in the north.

1. Managua (attraction)
  2. San Juan del Sur (city)
  3. Granada (Nicaragua) (city)

Alisha from Managua

I consider its better to use taxi because they can know very well the cities so you had better got tourist guide

Eric from Washington

We recently traveled to the beautiful country of Nicaragua with the help of Nicasurfadventures.com they helped us with private transportation.

1. Nicaragua (attraction)

Julie from York

Hi Scott,

The bus service in Nicaragua is plentiful and cheap, and there are routes to all the places on your trip (I'm travelling in Nicaragua at the moment). For a higher degree of comfort, try to get minibuses rather than chicken buses. For a more pricey option (but still a LOT less than car hire), the Tour companies in Granada do shuttles to San Juan del Sur for about $25. (The bus would be about 3-4 dollars).

Hope this helps.

Julie

Stines from Tilburg, Netherlands

It's easy to rent a car and its easy to drive around. Be careful though.. road signs are not so good. With a rented car, you cannot go to the east coast as the rental agency's will not allow you to.

And, highways in the north are perfect..

Lindsay from Granada (Nicaragua)

Renting a car is a nice option- most of the roads are well maintained and easy to drive on. You can take your car on the ferry to Ometepe- no problem. Taking the local buses is an adventure and manageable, but you need to know some Spanish.

Byron from Granada (Nicaragua)

As the other Scott answered, for the first day I would let my hotel or a company pick me up from the airport Ex: http://golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua 

I would do the trip from the airport to Granada (Nicaragua) then in Granada you can walk around everywhere and trips are not that expensive. Then, from Granada (Nicaragua) to San Juan del Sur I would rent a car and drive to the different beaches.

Have a great trip.

1. Granada (Nicaragua) (city)
  2. San Juan del Sur (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Scott!  I would definitely rent a car for part of the trip.  My Dad and I actually had our hotel in Granada arrange  for a pick up at the airport in Managua, which was quite affordable.  We really didn't need a car in Granada, but did rent one from Granada to San Juan del Sur.  Just make sure you're not coming into Granada when they are having their running of the bulls.  We were laughing about it afterwards, but narrowly missed a bull hitting our car.  Wow!

Spencer from Eugene, Oregon

I would fly whenever possible. The roads are very rough and the public transportation system is not good. In fact, I might go as far as to say it's not safe. Lots of old buses, etc.   Definitely fly if you can!