Sofia
Mexico City

Niagara Falls, Toronto

Is November a good time to visit the Niagara falls ?

I heard many times that the Niagara freeze in winter, is it true? Is it still worth to visit at that time of the year?

Thank you ! 

Ellie from Trinidad (Colorado)

Yes it is worth it in November! It might be a bit chilly so pack a jacket and gloves but sometimes the leaves are still out and the falls will definitely still be running in November! 

James from Toronto, Ontario

You will have a different experience depending on the time of the year you visit, but anytime is good.  November will be chilly, but no snow.  It will be very cozy to watch the fall from your hotel window.  If you want to see the fall freeze over, and that is beautiful, it is be to go in December or January.  

Sarah from London (Canada)

I love Niagara Falls every time of the year!!! The winter time is pretty magical. The falls do not freeze, and it looks so beautiful with the snow. We usually go every January and I love it!!!

Maureen from Toronto

It's cold in November but you won't experience the same cold as you would in January or February.  Our winter season doesn't start until mid December so the horseshoe falls (Niagara Faflls) in Canada will not be frozen at this time of the year as it is not cold enough yet.  There will be less tourists in November visiting Niagara Falls but make sure you dress appropriately for our cold temperatures.  Not only will it be colder but you experience the mist coming off the falls when you get within close proximity to them. We had some record breaking temperatures this last winter so it did get very cold but currently the temperatures are not too bad.  High season is between May and October to see Niagara Falls.

Amber from Toronto

The falls never completely freeze (I think 1911 was the last time it was almost completely frozen).  There is enough mist in the air that elements around the falls will have a layer of ice (and even in a good freeze there's a coating of ice over the falls).  The thing is, Niagara Fallsin November isn't usually cold enough for that.  To be safe, I think you'd have to visit in January or February.  November, you might get lucky, but probably not.

1. Niagara Falls (city)

Chelsey from Medicine Hat, Alberta

In November it can get fairly chilly so there is a possibility that it could be frozen. Still worth the visit for sure! -but be prepared for it being possibly very cold.

Ja from Canada

It won't be frozen in November but the weather will be cold so make sure your prepared for it with a warm jacket, hat, and gloves. The crowds will be less this time of year so you'll be able to get a good view.

Danielle from Toronto

Although it is very rare that the falls freeze (I think it's only happened about 4 times in history) it will be cold in November for walking around. 

There are however a lot of indoor activities in the Niagara Falls area - wax museums, Casino NiagaraRipley's Believe It Or Not and one of my favourites - Bird Kingdom

I would say if your trip is to Toronto, then you could probably skip it (it's actually about an hour and a half drive from the city), but if you're visiting another town in Ontario close to it, then it doesn't hurt to check it out.

1. Casino Niagara (attraction)
  2. Ripley's Believe It Or Not (attraction)
  3. Bird Kingdom (attraction)

amery from Chinatown New York

Yap..!  In winter it looks more glorious and offers spectacular views to visitors. I had a remarkable experience about couple of years ago along with my college friends. It was mid November then and Niagara Falls frozen was just superb.... We had lovely time along with GetBusTour Travel team. I could go there again in the winter.... :)