Joanna asked

Must do's in Newport, RI

I am heading to Newport, RI for the first time this weekend.  What are the best things to do in the off season?  Any restaurants you'd heartily recommend?  

Newport (Rhode Island)   Rhode Island (RI)

Ted from Providence

For Shopping Brick Market there are shops like Groovy Gator, Ireland Call and multiple restaurants. If you like Tennis, the International Tennis Hall of Fame is located in Newport and a number of mansions will be starting to be open for tours after the winter season. Looking at the forecast, the weather is supposed to be warmer this weekend than most days this whole month, so you will have company. There are also shops, bars & restaurants on Bowen's Wharf. I am not sure if it still will be open; but last suggestion for this weekend might be the outdoor ice rink at Newport Yachting Center. Have fun!

Bryan
YES to International Tennis Hall of Fame

1. Brick Market (attraction)
  2. Groovy Gator (attraction)
  3. Ireland Call (attraction)
  4. International Tennis Hall of Fame (attraction)
  5. Bowen's Wharf (attraction)
  6. Newport Yachting Center (attraction)
Bob from Naples (Florida)

Take a tour of the Newport Mansions, a drive along Ocean Drive, or stroll through the waterfront shops. The Red Parrot at Thames Streetis good for moderately priced meals with a large selection. The White Horse Tavern dates back to the 1700's and is more upscale. So many restaurant options!

1. Newport Mansions (hotel)
  2. Ocean Drive (attraction)
  3. The Red Parrot (restaurant)
  4. Thames Street (attraction)
  5. White Horse Tavern (restaurant)
Pat from Narragansett

This is somewhat dependent on your interests.  Mansion tours are a staple of Newport and The Breakers is at the top of the list as a must see at least once in Newport.  Shopping along Thames Street (both side of Memorial Blvd, not just along America's Cup) is also a great year round attraction.  For food, many people will steer you to famous spots like The Black Pearl.  I have three recommendations.  For upscale I like the Clarke Cooke House (right next to the Black Pearl).  For casual food you can't beat Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant.  And for seafood us locals like Scales & Shells.

1. The Breakers (attraction)
  2. Thames Street (attraction)
  3. Black Pearl (restaurant)
  4. Clarke Cooke House (restaurant)
  5. Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant (restaurant)
  6. Scales & Shells (restaurant)
Heather from Millbrook

Midtown Oyster Bar is great for seafood.  Also, the Cliff Walk and Second Beach are great for walking/scenery. 

Great suggestions, Heather! Love a good combo of great seafood and nice walks! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

1. Midtown Oyster Bar (restaurant)
  2. Cliff Walk (attraction)
  3. Second Beach (attraction)
Rhiana from New Hampshire

I would recommend going downtown and getting a bowl of clam chowder at the Black Pearl, the shops are also adorable downtown! If you're not frozen, I suggest getting some ice cream at the Newport Creamery. I would also recommend the The Red Parrot for dinner.

1. Black Pearl (restaurant)
  2. Newport Creamery (restaurant)
  3. The Red Parrot (restaurant)