Ty
Milwaukee

New Zealand

New Zealand mountain climbing and hiking spots?

Headed to New Zealand in the fall, any recommendations for great rock climbing or hiking spots?

Emily from United Kingdom

Just thought....the most famous walk in NZ is actually the Milford Track (I haven't done it though which is why it didn't come to mind). But it is meant to be amazing. Also if you love mountains consider spending some time around Mount Cook which is absolutely stunning. I'm pretty sure there are walks/climbs you can do around there but I was only there for a short visit (to my regret) so didn't get to do that. :)

1. Milford Track (attraction)
  2. Mount Cook (attraction)

Katie from Lake District National Park

Don't know about rock climbing, but the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a must for hiking!

Or if you fancy swapping volcanos for the sea, there's some great coastal hiking in Abel Tasman National Park. You can choose to do a multi-day hike, or hike during the day and get the Aqua Taxi boat back to wherever you're staying. (Also plenty of beautiful beaches to rest on if you fancy a break from the hiking.)

1. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (attraction)
  2. Abel Tasman National Park (park)

Jonny from Nowhere

I really loved the Kepler Track it will take you up into the mountains for breathtaking views and can also second the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. If you want some very chilled out beach hiking then Abel Tasman National Parkis a must.

1. Kepler Track (attraction)
  2. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (attraction)
  3. Abel Tasman National Park (park)

Emily from United Kingdom

Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Incredible.