Huangtao
Sydney

Huangtao from Sydney asked

Which part of New Zealand is the best destination for a two week holiday?

I want to go to New Zealand for a two weeks holiday, and I like the natural remote life more than city style. Is the South/North Island the right destination for me?

New Zealand   North Island (New Zealand)   South Island (New Zealand)   Auckland (New Zealand)   Wellington (New Zealand)   Christchurch (New Zealand)

David from Sydney

South Island definitely, especially the West Coast New Zealand. Spectacular scenery, and less people.

Emily from United Kingdom

NZ doesn't really do cities so much - north or south both are natural, remote and beautiful. North is slightly warmer and thus much greener - think lots of trees and green hills. It also has some stunning national parks such as Tongariro Alpine Crossing (I mention it a lot but it was a huge highlight of my trip to NZ!) plus some lovely beaches in the top. Better to go here in their summer (although still good in the winter I'm sure!)

The south is very striking - think ice-capped mountains and brilliant turquoise lakes. It is colder and harsher but probably even more beautiful for it. Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo blew me away. 

There is literally a huge list of amazing, remote places for each island so I would say it depends on what you want out of your holiday. Both have excellent hiking trails and adrenaline activities and you would honestly fall in love with either of them.

1. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (attraction)
  2. Mount Cook (attraction)
  3. Lake Tekapo (attraction)