Swati
Birgunj

New Zealand

What time of the year is it best to visit NZ?

How about March-May? Is it good for a peaceful vacation?

Matthias from Copenhagen

November should be a great mix of early summer and not that many tourists, I've heard from friends living in NZ. December-April is apparently the most popular time to go.

I myself is going this November to see if they are right :)

Christie from Hershey

April for the fall leaves in the South Island is lovely.  Not many tourists.  The lupines in November/December (South Island), and the Pohutukawa Tree in the North are stunning.

Ruth from Utah

Just remember that NZ is in the Southern Hemisphere, so it will have warmth at Christmas and cold in the summer months June July August. March - May should be comfortable. I saw that they are expecting flooding right now in September. Check with this link for more info: http://www.newzealand.com/us/feature/new-zealand-climate-and-weather/

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

Hi Swati,

I've been to New Zealand from Mid February to Mid April this year and I felt like it was the perfect time. It was late summer/autumn there and it was definitely warm and dry enough to go to beaches, to hike or to sleep in my car. Loads of tourists go there for the summer, so I would try to avoid NZ from December to Feburary if you don't want to book everything in advance or like hiking in a throng. Also, I was able to enjoy the financial benefits of the off-peak season when I was there. I think you should be fine with travelling NZ from March to May although it might get a bit chilly in May. (If you want to ski June-August is the time to be there).

Anna-Fee

Aroha from Auckland

Kia Ora Swati,

The best time to visit NZ is Feburary, as everyone's back at work and it's the best weather 25-30. Degrees depending what part of the country you are in. Easter weekend usually marks the last of the summer weather. In saying that we have good skiing in winter, with spectacular scenery all year round.

Enjoy your holiday, it's a beautiful country :)

Pip from Matamata

February and March are good, the school holidays are over but it is still summer. April and May are likely to be cooler and wet, though sometimes autumn weather can be good, and the colors of exotic trees in Central Otago are best then.

Navin from New York City

March to May will be cold and rainy. I was in the South Island in April and it rained constantly for a week. Really put a damper on things (pun intended!). I'd say the best months are February or September.