Jordan
Austria

New Zealand

What is the weather like in New Zealand in June/July?

We are thinking about flying to New Zealand around June/July from Australia, then back to Canada eventually, is it to cold or rainy to travel this time ?

Rory from Taupo

It's winter, so obviously it's not going to be hot and sunny. Having said that, there aren't many places in New Zealand that get really cold, it's more wind and rain you'll get unless you go up a mountain.

As a local, I actually prefer winter to summer - where I live in Taupo you still get lovely clear days (at least half the time) and there aren't hordes of tourists about so you can see all the best bits of the country in peace. You should still see good weather in the microclimates of Hawke's Bay and in Marlborough and Nelson. It will certainly rain a lot on the West Coast New Zealand and down into Fiordland

If you're into snowsports, the snow season starts in the last week of June for the bigger fields like Mt Hutt, and the The Remarkables Ski AreaCoronet Peak near Queenstownin the South Island and at Mount Ruapehu in the North Island. The smaller fields open progressively during July depending on snowfall.

Auckland is generally mild and wet in June and July, Wellington is windy, cold and wet, but has lots of good cosy pubs to spend some time in :)

1. New Zealand (attraction)
  2. Taupo (city)
  3. Hawke's Bay (region)
  4. Marlborough (region)
  5. Nelson (city)
  6. West Coast New Zealand (region)
  7. Fiordland (region)
  8. Mt Hutt (attraction)
  9. The Remarkables Ski Area (attraction)
  10. Coronet Peak (attraction)
  11. Queenstown (city)
  12. Mount Ruapehu (park)
  13. Auckland (city)
  14. Wellington (city)

It'll be chilly and snowy, for sure. Coronet Peak will be open for some serious skiing, and Tongariro National Park will have a thick coat of snow. It'll still be beautiful, though. Great time to visit Franz Josef Glacier, I imagine ... probably lots of blue ice!

1. Coronet Peak (attraction)
  2. Tongariro National Park (attraction)
  3. Franz Josef Glacier (attraction)

Christie from Hershey

Jordan, I have been in NZ in June - on the shortest day of the year.  The weather was fine for me - even in the south island with a light woolen jacket - but keep in mind that the days are short and the shadows are long.  This is one aspect I didn't like because it cut down on the hours I could enjoy the scenery.  I love NZ, I have been there 3 times and want to go back.  My favorite time was end of Nov./beginning of Dec when the lupines were in bloom in the South Island.  But I also went at the end of April and it was good... and June/July - only not as much because of the shorter days.  But if this time works best for you, go - you will love it.

lisa from New Zealand

June/July is in the middle of our Winter season.It tends to be quite cold with a few rainy periods. However It's perfect if you want to visit our Snow Fields and go skiing. This is when our snow season kicks into full swing :)