Beatrice
Montreal

New Zealand

Travelling solo in New Zealand

Hi! Since I can remember, New Zealand is THE place I wanna see, and I'm taking a year long break so I was thinking of going there.  

But because I will be alone, I was wondering if it is easy and nice to travel alone when there's a lot of hiking and natural places to see.  

Also, I don't have the money to rent a car so is it possible and easy to travel without one there? I heard the public transport was not so good.. 

So would you recommand a 22 year old girl, alone, to go in NZ? Thanks!

Deborah from Monroe (Michigan)

Yes New Zealand is a must see. Queenstown is a beautiful town and I felt very safe walking around town by myself at night. If you like bbq go to Flame Bar & Grill downtown it is the best! There is a lot to do and see. Make the most of it.

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. Queenstown (city)
  3. Flame Bar & Grill (restaurant)

Rebecca from Manchester

Hi Beatrice, I travelled alone as a 24 year old girl and I had no problems. However, I did buy my own car but I met plenty of other solo girls that travelled by the tourist buses. There is a backpacking New Zealand group on Facebook which was really useful as you can find many travellers with cars who want to buddy up or offer lifts. I did this a lot and took people in my car (and split) the petrol and I never had any problems :) It is a very safe country, where most residents never lock their front door.

1. New Zealand (country)

Alicia from Austin

Take the Stray Bus or Kiwi experience. You'll meet awesome people to travel with and you won't have to worry about transportation or pre-booking accommodation. You will meet great people you will never forget. New Zealand is one of the most amazing places in the world! Have fun!!

1. New Zealand (country)

Optimist from Dunedin

Car rentals are pretty damned cheap, and I'd actually recommend staying in youth hostels (where's it's real easy to meet up with like-minded tourists, and even kiwis) so you get to split the petrol costs with someone, making it even cheaper and fun.  I especially recommend the car rental "relocation" deals (google them, there's around five companies in NZ), where you get to "return" a car or motorhome/RV back to a main city - so cheap!

I only mention that option as - yeah, public transport is good, especially within cities, and between major cities - but there are so many hiking places and big natural points of interest that are off the public transport routes.  Still, you would have an awesome time just going from big city to little town, staying a day, only using public transport - am thinking something like Christchurch to Tekapo (stay there a day or so), to Twizel to Omarama to Arrowtown to Dunedin to Stewart Island and back along the east coast would be totes awesome!

I've never felt unsafe in my own country, but I am always watchful and take precautions, and can tell if something is amiss.  We have an utterly low proportion of psychos here - you'll find hanging out with other tourists, especially women your age will be completely awesome, and 99.9% of kiwis will go hilariously out of their way to host you, help you, welcome you, ask you "How do you like NZ?" (that's a big running joke in our country!)

1. Christchurch (city)
  2. Tekapo (city)
  3. Twizel (city)
  4. Omarama (city)
  5. Arrowtown (city)
  6. Dunedin (city)
  7. Stewart Island (city)

Claudia from New York City

Hey Beatrice,

New Zealand is beautiful, and it is easy to get around. For budget transportation, I recommend NakedBus. My family and I traveled to 8 places in South Island and took a one way trip from Wellington to Auckland with NakedBus. We paid less than NZ$200 for a 10-trip pass each. The trick is to get your tickets/pass as early as possible to get the most savings.

NakedBus is affordable, and from our experience, they were reliable, on-time and safe. There are buses available throughout North Island and South Island.

NakedBus offers TheNakedPassport, tours, and NakedSleeperPass. You can read all about it on their website.

If you're looking for budget accommodation and places to meet like-minded people, stay at the YHA. I've stayed in YHA in my younger days, and the most recent stays (2015) were in Franz Josef Glacier and Nelson - my way of introducing my teens to the world of budget travel.

Hope this info helps.

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. South Island (region)
  3. Wellington (city)
  4. Auckland (city)
  5. Franz Josef Glacier (attraction)
  6. Nelson (city)

Lisa from Wellington

If you stay in the cities you don't need a car. I live in Wellingtonand do not need a vehicle here. There is plenty of public transport options from Buses and Trains to Uber and Taxis. There is lots to see and do here too including Te Papa Museum and attractions such as Weta WorkshopWellington Zoo and a lot more.  

1. Wellington (city)
  2. Te Papa Museum (attraction)
  3. Weta Workshop (attraction)
  4. Wellington Zoo (attraction)