Gina
Portland

Gina from Portland asked

Traveling Alone in New Zealand

Hi Everyone! New Zealand has been #1 on my list of countries to visit ever since I can remember. However, I've been putting it off because I can't find anyone to travel with, or anyone who has the time/money. I don't really want to give up on this dream, especially since I'm in med school and want to make the most of the few breaks I get.

So my question is, has anyone traveled alone? Is it safe to travel to New Zealand alone as a female? How long should I go for? I haven't traveled anywhere outside of the US (aside from Mexico for family vacations) and it makes me nervous to consider taking my first international trip alone. I was thinking of going during my winter break in December. I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it. Thanks for your advice!

New Zealand

Christie from Hershey

Gina, when I traveled to New Zealand - 3 trips so far - each time was alone.  I felt very safe.  This is the easiest place to travel solo!  People are wonderful.  Some of the roads are a bit breathtaking in terms of twists and turns, but I avoided them if they got to be too much :)  If you stay at B & B's, you will have company in the evening or morning and that will blunt the feeling of being alone. I would say that for your first trip there, 2 weeks would be ok! You could go to the South Island and see some spectacular things  - Wanaka, Tekapo, Pukaki St, and maybe go to Rotorua or Taupo or Bay Of Islands in the north.  There is beautiful coastline in Kaikoura - but you will find spectacular beauty where ever you go.  But I see you are from Oregon, and Oregon has pretty nice scenery, too.  If you go, don't miss Tekapo and Pukaki. 

1. New Zealand (attraction)
  2. Wanaka (city)
  3. Tekapo (city)
  4. Pukaki St (attraction)
  5. Rotorua (city)
  6. Taupo (city)
  7. Bay Of Islands (region)
  8. Kaikoura (city)
Melissa from Chicago

I went on my first solo trip to New Zealand exactly a year ago! But, since it was my first time, I used a tour company called G Adventures. We had a small group (only 4 of us all travelling solo) and it was truly amazing. We did and saw so much in 15 days. The tour can get tiring though so maybe do half tour and then have a few days for yourself. I would definitely go back solo without a tour. My favorite places were Cathedral Cove, Kaikoura and especially, Queenstown...plan to spend a few days there to experience everything it has to offer. My final advice...just GO. You will not regret it :) 

1. New Zealand (attraction)
  2. G Adventures (attraction)
  3. Cathedral Cove (attraction)
  4. Kaikoura (city)
  5. Queenstown (city)
Kia from Melbourne

Hi Gina!

You will be so happy once you get to beautiful New Zealand. You won't want to leave! I first went to Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Road (a fun ski town in the south island) when I was 18. I had never been overseas before and I only planned to be there a few weeks. I ended up staying 2 years.

You will feel extremely safe in New Zealand. People are friendly and always happy to help. Meeting locals and travellers will be easy for you, especially if you start somewhere around Queenstown

In my humble opinion, both islands of the country are stunning, however, the South Island is truly remarkable. There are so many things to do and see, the scenery will take your breath away and you'll probably have some of the best nights out.

Just go for it! :)

1. New Zealand (attraction)
  2. Wanaka-Mount Aspiring Road (attraction)
  3. Queenstown (city)
  4. South Island (attraction)
Nathaniel from Boston

Hey Gina! I can't think of anywhere better to go as a solo traveler than New Zealand. The traveler networks you'll find there, from hostels to group buses, ensure you're never actually alone/lonely, and finding friends is hard not to do. If you've never traveled alone but want the confidence to be able to do so anywhere, this is the place.

I spent 6 months there alone and have so many friends from the experience, some were simply best friends for just a day. And that can be one of the best experiences on the road.

And you should go for as long as you can. No less than 2 weeks, but preferably months. 

Christie
agree!!!

1. New Zealand (attraction)
Shannon from Fort Mitchell

We toured New Zealand with Active New Zealand and it was an incredible trip! I cannot recommend their trips highly enough. 

Rickey from Lake Bluff

yes safe to travel to New Zealand alone as a female