Zach
Perth

New Zealand, Christchurch, Routeburn Track

South Island w/ Car for 8 Days, Fishing/Camping Wanted

Hi Guys, 

I land in Christchurch and have a rental car for 8 days.  Budget = Dirtbag because I prefer that style, but have money to spend if I feel its worth it.  Solo. I have camping gear, fishing rod, ready to sleep in car, and willingness to run walk up to 30 km per day.  I start next week (end of November).  I have heard Routeburn Track is best "great walk" to do.  And Gertrude Saddle as a day hike.  Thoughts?  Anywhere else I should hit and any cool spots I can hike to and catch some fish?  Thanks.

Robbie from Denver

If you haven't already left the South Island, I have a camping spot you might like.

In the Marlborough area, Robin Hood Bay is a nice, quiet cove on Port Underwood Rd.

If you're still around Queenstown, hit Fergburger. It's friggin excellent.

1. Robin Hood Bay (attraction)
  2. Queenstown (city)
  3. Fergburger (restaurant)

I absolutely love the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It's the craziest day hike ever. You could turn it into an overnight hike, too, if you leave from Whakapapa.

1. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (attraction)
  2. Whakapapa (attraction)

Rory from Taupo

Check out the Queen Charlotte Track at the top of the South Island. It's about 70km end to end and runs through lush forest, coastal bays with a few hills and ridges thrown in. Not a difficult track. If you're into kayaking, it's a great place for that, and the fishing around Queen Charlotte Sound (Totaranui) and Kenepuru Sound is fantastic - lots of tarakihi and snapper plus a bunch of others.

You'll need a track pass, but they're pretty cheap - about $6 per day. There are a bunch of DOC campgrounds along the track, and also some very high end luxury lodges if that's more your thing.

1. Queen Charlotte Track (attraction)
  2. Queen Charlotte Sound (Totaranui) (attraction)
  3. Kenepuru Sound (city)

Lars-Christian from Oslo

Hey,

First off, I'm not much into fishing, but New Zealand is very accessible with a car, and with 8 days, you'll have a blast. 

Best tip: Ask the local kiwis when you're there. They're super nice and helpful, and it's a great way to find spots.

Definitely do the Routeburn Track. It's fantastic. There's a spot along the way there called the million dollar view that's amazing. One of the tent spots on the track will have you wake up to one of the most incredible views you could have, with the sun shining down over the mountains. Loved it. It takes about three days, so make sure you factor that in.

Like I said, ask around. Find a few outdoor shops, and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction, and with a car you'll get to see a lot of the South Island while you're there. It's a beautiful place. 

Google "outdoor shops christchurch nz" and you'll find plenty of spots to start your research. 

Have a great trip.

Best,

LC