Karin
Miami Beach

New Zealand

North or south

2 weeks in NZ.

Shall e drive from Quenstown to Auckland or from Auckland to Queenstown?

So if you skip the north island, you miss the glowworm caves. You miss Tongariro National Park. You miss Rotorua and all the cool stuff near it. I can't recommend that to anyone.

Awhile back, I published a blog post about a suggested 2-week itinerary. It includes some of the lessons I learned about what to do differently.

1. Tongariro National Park (attraction)
  2. Rotorua (attraction)

Natala from San Francisco

honestly, if this is your first trip to NZ, i'd spend the whole two weeks on the South Island There's just so much to do and you don't want to be zip-zip-zip driving everywhere but have time to camp, explore and go on side adventures. I've spent roughly 6 weeks in NZ over 4 trips. 

Agree that the Tongariro National Park Tongariro park + walk is amazing, plus you can explore Taupo and Rupaeho as are the glow worm caves in Rotorua and the wine near Napier. I haven't been to the Coromandel CoastCoromandel Coast, but I keep hearing it is wonderful... 

But that's a week of travel if you spend time in AKL and end up in Wellington (and Welly is cute!) before even getting to the South Island -- and there's so much to explore there! Queenstown is easily 4-5 days, including Milford Sound maybe add 2 more days. There's Abel Tasman National Park  and Mt Aspiring and Franz Joseph glacier and just all those random beautiful places along the way... 

What time of year are you going? 

1. South Island (attraction)
  2. Tongariro National Park (attraction)
  3. Rotorua (city)
  4. Napier (city)
  5. Coromandel Coast (attraction)
  6. Wellington (city)
  7. Queenstown (city)
  8. Milford Sound (attraction)
  9. Abel Tasman National Park (park)

Christie from Hershey

From Auckland to Queenstown willl give you progressively more dramatic scenery. 

Rani from New Zealand

Easier to hire a car from Auckland to Queenstown with more budget options. Try going through Rotorua, Coromandel detour, Tauranga, lake Taupo, Tongariro national park if you have time, wellington City, Ferry across and do Nelson, Wineries in Marlborough, head down the east coast for open plains, farmland, nice beaches and Christchurch OR head down the west coast for wild weather, native forest and untouched small townships where you'll feel excitingly isolated. Then the while bottom part towards queenstown is sensationally beautiful. You can fly to Australia from Queenstown.

Wolfgang from Greding

I can recommend the South Island . But even for only one island 2 week are really short. I  took 3.5 weeks and didnt saw everything i wanted. 

Also i fear only two weeks could get really stressfull. But south island is really awsome. I recommend november -> spring in NZ 

1. South Island (attraction)