Cameron
Hamilton (Canada)

Cameron from Hamilton (Canada) asked

Best places for a romantic day/night out

New Zealand

Annemarie from New York City

If you're visiting the entire country, I suggest you make sure to spend a weekend in Queenstown. It's a resort town for sure, but there's so much activity you can do there. I took a Jucy tour glass-topped bus to Milford Track, and took in a hot tub during the evening on the side of a mountain at Onsen Hot Pools, but I also suggest you don't leave without trying a Fergburger.

Cameron
Yes I've heard about this must try Fergburger. Super excited can't wait!

Annemarie
Have a pot pie from there, too. It's one of the cheaper meals in Queenstown and easy to bring back to your hotel.

1. Queenstown (city)
  2. Jucy (attraction)
  3. Milford Track (attraction)
  4. Onsen Hot Pools (attraction)
  5. Fergburger (restaurant)
Lisa from Wellington

Hi Cameron, 

This depends of course which city or town you are in! 
I think if you're looking for a nice restaurant or movie date you could easily find a local theatre and restaurant in most towns/ cities. 

If you're in somewhere specific: eg, Wellington
I live in Wellington (the capital city) and there are a few movie theatres here, depending on the vibe you like depends on which one you would go to. 
For example, The Embassy Theatre on Kent Terrace, is a more 'grown up' feeling theatre. They have a bar where you can buy alcoholic drinks. They often show movies later into the night. Down the road from them is Reading Cinemas. Their theatre is aimed at families. In the school holidays it's always filled with children and their nannies. 

Personally I like a bit of Theatre, live action, so I think BATS Theatre http://bats.co.nz/ is great. They are currently hiding on the corner of Dixon Street and Cuba Street as their Kent Terrace location is undergoing renovations, they will return there sometime in 2014.
They offer very cheap theatre tickets to shows put on from local high schools, local drama schools, the universities, NZ comedians, international actors... The shows vary in nature. It's always just fun to turn up, buy a ticket and just see whatever is on. 

If you're in Auckland: I cannot recommend going ice skating enough. Although I hate to stereotype,  but being from Canada you probably do it a lot back home, right? They have I think three rinks in the city area of Auckland. 
There's ferry trips across the Devonport which is a nice area to just wander around and people watch. There's also lovely cafes all through the CBD near the water front. 
Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter - Underwater World is another awesome place to explore. Very dreamworldly being underwater (in a tunnel tube) watching the fish, sharks, and starfish go by.

In smaller towns there are other attractions depending on where you are, but ask a local for their favourite restaurant and you may luck out. 

There is also the whole go buy Fish and Chips from a local Fish n Chip shop and wander down to a lookout spot: local beach, park etc and enjoy the Fish and Chips as you watch the sun go down. 

Cameron
Thanks for the great suggestions Lisa! There is a lot of ice skating here but it never gets old.

1. Wellington (city)
  2. Embassy Theatre (attraction)
  3. Reading Cinemas (attraction)
  4. BATS Theatre (attraction)
  5. Devonport (attraction)
  6. Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter - Underwater World (attraction)
alastair from Wanaka

Hello,

Go to Wanaka which comprised of fun theme park, walks, fine dining, a funky cinema & many more.  If you find any difficulty for staying over there, you should prefer rental service. One of the reliable rental service providers that I know in Wanaka is Room on Rent which provides room with affordable price for the people. Whether you want to rent a room in Wanaka,Queenstown or Frankton Road, try rent a room where you can easily accomplish your requirement. For detail info visit: http://www.rentaroom.org.nz/

1. Wanaka (city)
  2. Queenstown (city)
  3. Frankton Road (attraction)