Krishnaswamy
Hyderabad

New Zealand

A city within New Zealand for one week

We would like to cover one city in New Zealand for about a week.  Where should we go and what are the places to see?

Lars-Christian from Oslo

One city in New Zealand for a week is quite a lot of time, so I would consider a few day trips as well. 

If you go with just one, my suggestion would be Wellington. I would have loved to have had more time there. It's a small city. Take some time by the pier. It's a nice boardwalk there (or was, at least. Been a few years since I was there). Check out Cuba Street with a nice selection of cafés to choose from. Also, stop by Fidels Cafe when you're there. Really nice place with good food and coffee.

You have to go to Te Papa Museum if you decide on Wellington. One of the best museums I've visited. They had the motorcycle from the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" there when I visitited, so maybe check out that movie ahead of your visit, just in case :)

There are lots of possibilities for hiking (or tramping, as they say in NZ), so grab a backpack and see what day trips you can do while you're there. Could be nice break from the city. 

Remember, distances between cities in NZ are short, so visiting other spots is very possible during a week. It's a great country, with awesome people :)

Safe travels,

LC

1. Wellington (city)
  2. Cuba Street (attraction)
  3. Fidels Cafe (attraction)
  4. Te Papa Museum (attraction)

Nathaniel from Boston

I'd go with Wellington, only because Queenstown is not a city.

The obvious parts are Cuba Street for food, Wellington Botanic GardenTe Papa Museum, and the waterfront. I'd also hike up Mount Victoria and check out the Wellington Zoo.

But beyond those things, which you'll find in any guidebook, I find Wellington has the best urban environment for sitting around and taking in the Kiwi culture. It's sophisticated and quaint, while being a busy city -- and you can take the ferry to Picton, which is an amazing boat ride itself.

1. Wellington (city)
  2. Cuba Street (attraction)
  3. Wellington Botanic Garden (attraction)
  4. Te Papa Museum (attraction)
  5. Mount Victoria (attraction)
  6. Wellington Zoo (attraction)
  7. Picton (city)

Angie from Melbourne

Being that New Zealand is relatively small, any city for one week might be a little long.  Your best bet might be - for example - to go to Auckland for a couple of days (the biggest city in NZ) and then drive to a place like Rotorua .  It's very cool there as there are hot pools and thermal mud pools and natural geizers.  It's a unique place to visit for sure (Never seen anywhere like that anywhere else).  You could easily spend just a night there, and then head back up to Auckland.  Driving is VERY easy in NZ as most places are one or two lanes in each direction and so you can't go too far wrong.  But being a former New Zealander myself, I think a week in any city is just a little too long.

1. Rotorua (city)

Yaniv from Tel Aviv

A week in New Zealand is short, but if that's all you have I would recommend Dunedin. Baldwin St is the world's steepest street, and it's a must for your visit.

If you like nature and wildlife, I recommend renting a car and driving to Otago Peninsula, where you can do short (and long) hikes. One particular recommendation is Sandfly Bay where you can see penguins and fur seals on the beach.

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. Dunedin (city)
  3. Baldwin St (attraction)
  4. Otago Peninsula (attraction)
  5. Sandfly Bay (attraction)

Shefali from India

Hello!

New Zealand is one of the most happening locations to plan your next vacation. This island nation offers awesome experiences for its travellers in natural settings and you will be stunned by its scenic beauty. 

If you're a person who loves adventure, then you can try out bungy jumping, jet boating or caving with the glowworms. If you're a person who prefers to enjoy nature and relish in its beauty, then you can spend time in Fiordland

A three hour drive down Auckland would lead you to the beautiful Bay of Isalnds where travellers can hike, bask in secluded coves and tour Cape Brett

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. Fiordland (region)
  3. Auckland (city)
  4. Cape Brett (attraction)