Kelly
Massachusetts

New York City, Union Square

budget-friendly but decent hotel in Union Square area?

Taking a quick overnight trip to Union Square area real soon. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel for less than $150/night?  

Sean from Hudson Valley

Good luck! 

I was just reading an article today about a hotel in New York considered to be one of the creepiest in the world. It isn't haunted, but it is infested with mice, cockroaches and bedbugs. It's price; $120 a night. 

Most decent hotels in New York City start at $200 a night; and that's before taxes.  Kathryn Hunter's suggestion was a good one.  Another idea is to not stay in the city.  Find a room on Long Island (New York), New Jersey, or Westchester County and take the commuter rail into the city.  Trains run at least hourly from 5:00am, to about 1:30am.  Hotels outside the City tend to be far more reasonably priced, therefore, a far better value.  You'll be living like a temporary resident.  I used this strategy all over the world.

However, if you're hell bent on staying in the city, try a discount booking site like Hotwire or Priceline.

1. Long Island (New York) (island)
  2. New Jersey (attraction)
  3. Westchester County (attraction)

Kathryn from London

Hotels in NYC for less than $150 a night are hard to come by, decent or not. I'd go to AirBnB and search for Union Square. I've used AirBnB in New York three times, and will again, I'm sure. 

By staying in an apartment you'll also have kitchen and sometimes laundry access, which can reduce your costs too. Just make sure to read the house rules and reviews, since each host is different.

Have fun in New York!