Andrea
Hamilton, Bermuda

apps to help navigate the city

I will be visiting NYC soon and would like to know of some apps that will help navigate the city. Like one that I could put places I want to visit in and it will map it out, apps for subway..recommendations..etc

Val from Los Angeles

In my NYC app folder I have:  Exit Strategy, NYC Subway, Embark NYC, Subway, Roadify, Citymapper, Central Park, NYC Museum, NYC Bikes, TodayTix & Transit.  (In no particular order)

Whew!  :O)

Nicolette from New York City

Hi Andrea,

Great that you'll be visiting! Hope you have a wonderful stay and take advantage of all the fun that this city has to offer. It's so easy to get around, and see a lot when you're here. 

To get around, Embark is really great. It's an app that you can easily use to navigate the subway, and it doesn't require Internet (very convenient when underground). For cabs, check out Uber or Lyft. Yelp is good as it allows you to see others' recommendations of local restaurants, cafes, hotels and other places. The New York Times has a fun app called The Scoop, in which editors share their favorite restaurants and recommendations - this could be fun for events as well. Though I've never used these, I hear the Central Park app and apps for popular museums (MOMA and Natural History) are good, too. 

Have a great stay! 

Matthew from Prescott

If you have an iPhone the best app for you is HopStop.

If you have an Android device then Citymapper is the one for you.

*The links I provided are to their websites, which in turn have links to the prospective apps.

Thank you,

Travelationship.com

Chris from New York City

Hopstop is great, apple maps is useless because there is no public transit option.

Jamie from Harlem

The best subway apps are Embark NYC and Exit Strategy, hands down. Foursquare is a great food/restaurant resource for any city. Central Park NYC is good one too.

Nina

the best dining app for new york is immaculate infatuation. they have the most comprehensive list of restaurants and it's easy to book mark your favorites from within the app and search by location with added filters like 'cheap eats', 'good for dates', 'good for people watching', etc. 

time out new york is also useful for discovering things to do. 

sit and squat by charmin is another favorite that lets you discover the nearest public toilets. 

nyc subway and emark nyc are both useful for navigating the subway system. of course uber and lyft are also great to have for when you need a car quickly and don't want to wait on the corner for a cab. 

enjoy your trip!

Molly from West Chester, Pennsylvania

The best app for the subway is HopStop - you can route directions, check out the full MTA map and more

Yelp is always a solid choice too - I always recommend going to restaurants with at least 3.5 stars. It's NYC and a lot of opinionated people will rate and comment on each location so definitely read through the reviews!

And if you're looking for a good app to hail a cab or car, check out HailO and Uber. Great for times when you need to head across town (subway doesn't always get you to the farmost east and west sides of town).

Enjoy your visit!

Catherine

I really like the HopStop app for help navigating the subway. And Urban Daddy is a fun app that tells you about places to eat, shop, visit based on who you're with, the amount you want to spend, etc.  Scout Mob is another one, and it emphasizes indie stores and local artisans/producers.  Hope you have fun.... :)

Michelle

Foursquare to create lists and save them, you can also follow other peoples lists. Tripadvisor is pretty good for that as well. HopStop is the best subway app.