amber
Fyzabad

amber from Fyzabad asked

Working in NY for 6 mnths, use old phone or sign up with service provider

Hello,

I plan to work in New York for 6 months to one year next year. I'll need a cell phone for work purposes mainly. Should I use my current phone and buy a Sim card in the NY or buy a phone with a data plan from a service provider. I'll need a data plan too. Which service provider would you recommend specifically for making international calls.

New York City   Manhattan

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Amber,

A lot of your decision should be predicated on how many local calls you'll need to make, and how much local business you need to conduct. 

I live in the Hudson Valley area of New York.  A few years back I was doing business in a area about an hour from my home.  A good deal of my business involved calling, and being called by my customers.  I found that many customers wouldn't call me or return my calls because my phone number was in a different area code, and therefore, a long distance call.

However, in your case, if you're going to be conducting a great deal of international business, this may not be an issue. 

I thought Elliott's suggestion was a good one.  The only thing I would be concerned about is the speed at which calls would be forwarded to you.  That was another thing I encountered; If a customer couldn't reach me, they immediately called the next guy.

As far as which provider offers the best international service, you'd probably be best served going to an on-line review site to see what customers of the various providers have to say.   If you find one that sounds good, spend some face time working out a deal with them.  They want your business, and a web site doesn't understand that desire.

Let us know how you make out.

Elliott from San Francisco

I suggest keeping your current phone and phone number - then augment it with a local number.

There are lots of services, such as SKYPE, that allow you to buy a local phone number - a number with the area code you want - then have all calls immediately forwarded to your cell phone.  

I think this is a more reasonable approach than buying a cell phone with a new sim card or putting the sim card into your existing card - an no longer use your old number.