Sonya
United Kingdom

Which sightseeing pass is the best in NYC?

I'm travelling with 2 kids and husband, we are in NYC for 3 days, I can't decide whether a city pass is the best option, any advice?

Barbara from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

The city passes offer many options for a family, tickets to get in to places are discounted and expedited lines. Check out a couple of them and see which one provides the best options for your family's interests. Google "kid friendly activities in NYC", it will give you many options. Plan out each day so you get to see as much as possible. Look at a map and cluster activities so you aren't waisting time traveling from one area to another. 

Nars from Boston

Sightseeing passes offer two benefits - discounts or free entry and skipping lines. You will spend anywhere from $400 to $600 for a 3-day trip (for a family of 4). Unless you hit 3 attractions per day you are better off using your money differently. With two kids, it will be hard to cover three attractions per day for which you will buy tickets.

Before you buy the tickets, I would:

1) Make a list of attractions (3-4 per day) you wish to visit

2) Time you will need for each attraction (factor in time for transit and breaks)

3) Look up prices on the attraction websites and do a price comparison with NewYorkPass or CityPass E.g. 1-day NewYorkPass for 4 is $300. American Museum of Natural History tickets are free with NewYorkPass. You will need 4-6 hours at the museum. Tickets to Natural History Museum $70. 

Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

1. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)

Jared from Sydney

I guess it depends on what you want to see. I used one, but I was visiting for two weeks. And I don't think I used it all anyway.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is free, so is the Museum of Modern Art and American Museum of Natural History. But with kids I think a full day between the Met and NH would be enough.

Statue of Liberty can be done with a visit to WTC and can be booked separately. Top of the Rock offers better skyline views than Empire State Building Observation Deck but I guess it's less iconic. And don't forget places like Central Park and the NY Botanical Garden are free and also great places to visit any time of year! Coney Island might be fun for the kids too!

So I think for only three days it's cheaper to book the things you definitely want to do and just see how you feel during the three days. Nothing worse than buying an CityPass and madly trying to do everything in it! :)

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  3. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  4. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  5. Top of the Rock (attraction)
  6. Empire State Building Observation Deck (attraction)
  7. Central Park (attraction)
  8. Botanical Garden (attraction)
  9. Coney Island (attraction)