Jane

Which NYC museums are must see? We only have time for two.

We have been to New York before.  This is a short trip. Just long enough to visit an old college roommate, see a show and fit in a couple of museums.  The problem -- several have great reviews and I am having trouble picking.  We like traditional and modern art.  I love the Impressionists.  We will be staying in Manhattan. Thanks.

Linda

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)

Mary

I was in NYC just this past Friday-Saturday. I chose to spend the precious short time I had, on the second floor, in The Metropolitan Museum of Art, specifically in the Impressionists gallerys. That in itself is a couple hours of pure delight. People undetrestimate the amount of time it takes to get into the musuem, get oriented, and the commute. I went right away to get a map, asked where to go, and felt free to roam rooms of Degas, Renoir, Chagall...etc. It is a feast for the eyes and soul. The "map" was a single sheet of white paper, clearly designating which rooms housed which artists, obtained at the front desk. I have been t o the Met many times, often leaving disoriented and dizzy with all the selections. This time, I targeted, and was very satisfied.

Lyn

The Metropolitan Museum of Art- can't miss it!  Near the Park and one of the best areas of NYC

Ellen from Dallas

The Metropolitan Museum of Art for traditional and Solomon R. Guggenheim Museumfor modern. Have been to both in past couple of months and the collections are really brilliant now! 

2. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (attraction)

Elena from Ontario (Canada)

You can't go wrong with the The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The variety is incredible.

Sealani

If you like extraordinary jewelry to behold, the Museum of Arts & Design on Columbus Circle is amazing.

When I lived in New York, the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum was my favorite museum.  

1. Museum of Arts & Design (attraction)
  2. Columbus Circle (attraction)
  3. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (attraction)

Sandra from Portland

Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum design museum, cannot recommend enough.  

1. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (attraction)

louanne from Ohio

The new Whitney Museum is great. The old location is now the The Met Breuer and worth a visit. If you're in that neighborhood, stop at the Neue Galerie New York to see Klimt's "Woman in Gold". The Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum is also worth a visit with a nice cafe and outside garden seating.

1. Whitney Museum (attraction)
  2. The Met Breuer (attraction)
  3. Neue Galerie New York (attraction)
  4. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (attraction)

Larry from Hopewell Junction

Your admission to the The Metropolitan Museum of Art includes admission to the new The Met Breuer a few blocks away. You probably could pop in there for a visit between the Met and The Frick Collection or Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.

2. The Met Breuer (attraction)
  3. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  4. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

I agree that the The Frick Collection and The Morgan Library & Museum are beautiful destinations and collections, but not overwhelming.  The art is fascinating, and the setting is equally enjoyable.  These two are not as crowded as the Met and the Moma.  If you are on a short trip, these two are recommended

1. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  2. The Morgan Library & Museum (attraction)

Taryn from Bellevue

The Metropolitan Museum of Art you could get lost in for a few days. It's amazing and Museum of Modern Art never disappoints.

2. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)

Rachel from New York City

A big and a small that are near each other--The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Frick Collection. The Frick is my favorite, technically it is not a Museum but a collection, but you can go through the whole house in one visit. And the Met, which you can pick a selection of exhibits. They have a great Modern Art wing. 

2. The Frick Collection (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Jane,

I don't know what museums you've seen already.  Since you say you've been to New York before, I'll assume you've already seen the top ones already.  Let me suggest two that are often overlooked.

I heartily recommend the Tenement Museum at 97 Orchard Street, in the lower east side. This 1860's building is set up to reflect the various immigrant groups the settled in that area throughout the years. Each apartment is setup to reflect immigrants of different origins, and costumed actors recreate the day to day lives of these people. The ground floor is set up as a business from the past. There are walking tours of the neighborhood, as well as various events throughout the year. Highly recommended!

Also, check out what's being offered at the Discovery Times Square.  They host a number of different exhibits throughout the year.  Not all are connected with New York, but they are all well presented, informative and entertaining.

1. Tenement Museum (attraction)
  2. Discovery Times Square (attraction)

jami from New York City

OH YES! Impressionists are my favorite too!!! You must go to Museum of Modern Art and see Van Gogh's "Starry Night!" Its my absolute favorite and their exhibits are always wonderful! They have certain Friday nights free, so double check their website!!! I back up the other statements in going to the The Metropolitan Museum of Art...suggested donation always and they also have a wonderful collection of impressionists...Monet, Manet, Van Gogh.....its usually my first stop when I go! 

1. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)

peter from Downtown Ithaca

I agree with going to the Met but I suggest you preplan your visit because this is a very large museum with plenty of options. You can't see it all in one visit. Further down 5th Ave at 70th street is the Frick Collection. A small museum in a mansion for a change of pace. The art is top notch and so are the rooms. Also, way downtown at 225 Madison Ave is the Morgan Library and Museum. A small recently renovated building with a wonderful glass elevator and relaxing cafe. Of course you can do MOMA and the Whitney but my 2 suggestions after the visiting the Met are slightly off the beaten track more relaxing but still first class and memorable.

Cathy from Hockessin, Delaware

2. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)

Orian from New York City

The The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a must. Also the entry fee is suggestion only. For a second museum, either the Museum of Modern Art or Whitney Museum depending on what appeals to you more. The nice thing about the Whitney is it is right next to another great NYC attraction - High Line Park.

2. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  3. Whitney Museum (attraction)
  4. High Line Park (attraction)

Nars from Boston

Christy

Hi, The Museum of Modern ArtMOMA is a must and the The Metropolitan Museum of ArtMET. I tend to pick a particular floor or collection or painting and just go see that so as to avoid being overwhelmed. I hope you have a great time!

1. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)

Jane

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all your thoughts and insights. We are going this week. Very excited. We did decide on the Met and MOMA. Thanks!

John

If art is the goal then it's the The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Modern Art- end of story!

2. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)