Ty
Milwaukee

Where to get awesome deli food in the big apple?!!

I’m playing with my school marching band in the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade (watch for me!!!) and it’s my first trip to New York! I really, really want to try deli food since I’ve never had it (not a lot of that in Wisconsin). I don’t know where to go or what to order. The only deli food I really know is corned beef which I’m going to try. So tell me: where should I go and what should I order?!?!? So stoked! 

Maurice from New York City

Katz's Delicatessen at
205 E Houston St
New York, NY 10002

or

2nd Ave Deli (now located on 33rd St at 3rd Ave - they'll tell you why when you get there!)
162 E 33rd St
New York, NY 10016

These are two New York originals. The food at both is great.

Pastrami, Pastrami, Pastrami!!!!

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)
  2. 2nd Ave Deli (restaurant)

katie from Brooklyn

Congrats! You will have a blast. I would recommend Katz's Delicatessen for an authentic experience. Get the pastrami sandwich and a pickle. (But really, everything is very good, I even love the hot dog). You can even sit at the table from When Harry Met Sally. Enjoy and good luck at the parade!

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)

Erin from Alexandria (Virginia)

Hey Ty! Congrats - what a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Though a bit touristy, you can't miss Carnegie Deli for your first New York deli experience. Bring your appetite - the sandwiches are monster-sized! Have fun. 

1. Carnegie Deli (restaurant)

tom from New York City

When you are looking for stuff like "deli food" or "pizza" in NYC you need to go to the heart of the beast, the mecca. And although you may pay 15$ for a sangwich, the best sandwich in town is Katz's Delicatessen. enjoy the pickles too!!!

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)

Thuy from San Francisco

The 2 famous ones are Katz's Delicatessen and Carnegie Deli. They have been around for decades, have a lot of history and been the backdrop of many movies.

1. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)
  2. Carnegie Deli (restaurant)