Sanna
Hancock (Michigan)

Where to eat in New York during Christmas and New Year's?

Can anyone recommend nice places for eating out in New York on Christmas eve, Christmas day and also New Year's eve? A fancier place for some night would be nice but lower budget ideas are more than welcome!

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

An interesting, fairly recent phenomenon in Manhattan is the proliferation of Belgian restaurants. A nice one on the Upper East Side is Brasserie Magritte. Any Belgian place is going to feature beer prominently; Magritte has a fine selection, especially the Belgian specialties like sour ales and lambics. Try the pommes frites.

For something really festive (not cheap), I like Kings' Carriage House. Dinner is excellent -- especially any kind of duck -- but the real draw is the decor, which is 19th Century urban rustic (if there is such a thing). It's as nice a space as you'll find in the city.

1. Brasserie Magritte (restaurant)
  2. Kings' Carriage House (restaurant)

If you are really wanting to go fancy, try with all your might to get a reservation at Per Se or Le Bernardin-both are Michelin 3 star restaurants and the food is amazing.  A little lower key just on the verge of hell's kitchen that I go to every time I'm I NYC is Gallo Nero-tiny Italian place, amazing burrata.

1. Per Se (restaurant)
  2. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
  3. Gallo Nero (restaurant)