Chris
Manhattan Beach

Where do the cool kids stay in NYC these days?

I am coming to NYC for one night and would love to know where to stay. 

Looking for something active/cool/hip without judging me for not pegging and rolling up my jeans. It's going on an expense account so don't sweat on the budget. 

Places I have enjoyed before Greenwich, Standard, Ace, London, Grammercy Park, etc.

Bonus points for near West Village, Soho, Tribeca.

Tony from San Francisco

Chris - I'm a fan of The Crosby Street Hotel

The Bowery Hotel 

and the The Mercer.

My favorite restaurant at the moment is Kyo Ya

Close by, and a great spot to grab amazing cocktails, is Dear Irving.  

Of course, get your caffeine fix at the upstairs Blue Bottle Coffee(the Siphon Bar is open from11:00 - 3:00)

and then head over to Brooklyn to the newest Blue Bottle Coffeeon Dean Street.

1. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  2. Bowery Hotel (hotel)
  3. The Mercer (hotel)
  4. Kyo Ya (restaurant)
  5. Dear Irving (restaurant)
  6. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)
  7. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)

Tim from San Francisco

I highly recommend trying the The NoMad Hotel, right around the corner from Ace Hotel New York.  

Ace can get extremely loud, which sometimes bugs me, as does the requirement to look like a lumberjack-cum-brogrammer.

NoMad is a little snootier in vibe, but the rooms are great (ensure a larger room), and my favorite aspect is the food.

Eleven Madison Park Restaurant is always booked for weeks out.  It's one of the most famous restaurants in NYC.  Unbeknownst to many, Daniel Humm (exec chef from 11 Madison) does all the food at NoMad.

I highly recommend brunch or lunch -- less crowded than dinner -- and getting the duck or slow-cooked egg.

Definitely worth a test drive.

Smooches,

Tim

1. The NoMad Hotel (hotel)
  2. Ace Hotel New York (hotel)
  3. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)

JR from Manhattan Beach

The cool kids are still staying at Ace Hotel New York as far as I could tell when I was there a few weeks ago.

Since budget doesn't seem to be holding you back, I would get down to Soho and stay at the Crosby Street Hotel. Great design, nice vibe (honor bar in the lobby), central to all things soho, and the room was so quiet I slept like a baby (unlike many NYC trips).One other option I would try, and will on my next trip there, is The NoMad Hotel. Daniel Humm is associated with Nomad, and after eating at his Eleven Madison Park Restaurant on my last trip and being wowed,

I want to check out Nomad. If you stay there, let me know how it was.  

1. Ace Hotel New York (hotel)
  2. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  3. The NoMad Hotel (hotel)
  4. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)

Drew from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Crosby Street Hotel has good Soho location and nice vibe.  It's elegant without being stuff or pretentious.  Location is in Soho, but Crosby St isn't crazy busy.  And walking distance to PUBLICBalthazar Restaurant, and Prune.

Also, if I may shamelessly self-promote, forward your confirmation email to checkin@checkmate.io to use our mobile check-in service before you arrive to get a better room, avoid a wait at the front desk, etc.

1. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  2. PUBLIC (restaurant)
  3. Prune (restaurant)
  4. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)

Cindy from New York City

I concur with Tim's recommendation of The NoMad Hotel above (restaurant does the best roast chicken in the world, has to be sampled). For serious comfort (and if budget is not an issue) I recommend the Crosby Street Hotel down in Soho. Companion hotel to the hotel I always stay in in London, the Haymarket Hotel - great rooms, great bar and restaurant, outdoor terraces, nice loft vibe: http://www.firmdalehotels.com/new-york/crosby-street-hotel

1. The NoMad Hotel (hotel)
  2. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  3. Haymarket Hotel (hotel)

Rachel from Los Angeles

My go-tos are the Crosby Street HotelBowery HotelGreenwich Hotel or Trump SoHo Hotel. They're chic and cool without being overly trendy. 

1. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  2. Bowery Hotel (hotel)
  3. Greenwich Hotel (hotel)
  4. Trump SoHo Hotel (hotel)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Lot of good recommendations already, but I'll add a couple of items:

• the Greenwich Hotel is a great spot, more mellow and laid back than some of the hipster joints mentioned in other reviews, but old school cool, New York.  Great Italian restaurant, Locanda Verde on ground floor.  Interesting fact, the hotel is owned by Robert DeNiro.

• The The Standard New York has incredible views over the Hudson to Statue of Liberty, etc., and a great bar on the top floor.  Bonus points for having the High Line Park run right through the bottom of the hotel.

• In addition to being a cool hotel, the room service at the The NoMad Hotel is insanely good.  

• I've never stayed at The James Hotel New York, however, I have drank at the rooftop pool bar and that is a nice spot.  

1. Greenwich Hotel (hotel)
  2. Locanda Verde (restaurant)
  3. The Standard New York (hotel)
  4. The NoMad Hotel (hotel)
  5. The James Hotel New York (hotel)

I would try Hudson Hotel. It's a little off the beaten path but it's cool without being too self-conscious and has a very classic yet of-the-moment vibe. It has a very Tom Ford-y kind of feel to it. 
If someone told me I could stay anywhere in New York and not have to worry about the money, I wouldn't be able to resist staying at least a night at The Mark Hotel. It's a very old school, classic New York vibe--don't expect a lot of hipsters wearing pork pie hats in the lobby, but it has a very fresh feel both literally and figuratively. Beautiful, beautiful rooms and a lot of really fun little amenities (like bikes and Laduree macarons in your room). It's the kind of place you can see a Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracey movie taking place. 

1. Hudson Hotel (hotel)
  2. The Mark Hotel (hotel)

Dean from New York City

Hey Chris, Check out The James Hotel New York. It's right at the nexus of SoHo and Tribeca. It's a great spot with a Rooftop bar and pool. Also 60 Thompson-A Thompson Hotel or the Thompson LES (a little more E Village/LES but in your wheelhouse style wise).

Update: I just remembered: The McKittrick Hotel for your Chelsea/UMPD (Upper MeatPacking District) activities. Plus the Heath there is an incredible night.

And Bowery Hotel is my hands down favorite hotel in the city.

1. The James Hotel New York (hotel)
  2. 60 Thompson-A Thompson Hotel (hotel)
  3. Thompson LES (hotel)
  4. The McKittrick Hotel (attraction)
  5. Bowery Hotel (hotel)

James from Boston

Tribeca Grand Hotel is surprisingly interesting. Not full of "cool" kids, but thank god, right? Downtown LES very cool but more the Lower East Side. Hôtel Americano VERY cool but more Chelsea-esque. Crosby Street Hotel (Soho) and new Mondrian SoHo are to die for. Even if cost is no object, start with Hotel Tonight at 9AM the day of your stay for amazing deals at many of the places listed above.

High Line Hotel at 10th and 18th is very hip, very creative restoration. Neighborhood around the Highline is wonderful for exploring these days. And finally, Maritime Hotel at 9th and 16th never disappoints. And this is not to mention the amazing places you could get on AirBNB at these prices, but that's another story.

Have a good one!

1. Tribeca Grand Hotel (hotel)
  2. Hôtel Americano (hotel)
  3. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)
  4. Mondrian SoHo (hotel)
  5. High Line Hotel (hotel)
  6. Maritime Hotel (hotel)

Ginger from Aurora, Minnesota

I really like The Standard - East Village - beautiful views of lower Manhattan and a charming little cafe for breakfast before heading out for the day.

1. The Standard - East Village (hotel)

Arnold from San Francisco

My favorite is eating at Bohemian.  A modern Japanese restaurant (not focused on sushi), that feels more like you're eating at a chef's living room and less like you're having another sushi / roll outing at Nobu.  Getting the "secret" number is a bit tough if you're not used to this sort of thing, but a little digging and it shouldn't be too hard to get.

1. Bohemian (restaurant)

Melanie from Toulouse, France

Obviously, in Brooklyn, more precisely Williamsburg. I like to look for AirBNB listings in this area, the apartments are often surprising or creative, like those lofts in old Industrial buildings. Plus, if you find a way to get on a rooftop, you'll envoy this incredible view of the Island of Manhattan.

My two cents ;)

On the Island, I recently tried the Howard Johnson Soho hotel, in Chinatown. Nice place, the view on the Manhattan Bridge is crazy if you ask for a room up there, nice staff...

1. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  2. Williamsburg (neighborhood)
  3. Howard Johnson Soho (hotel)
  4. Manhattan Bridge (attraction)

Annastasia from Williamsburg

Hi there! I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and If you haven't yet explored here, i would highly recommend doing so.  I would definitely stay at the Wythe Hotel.  You'll be in the heart of Williamsburg, and have amazing city views.  The restaurant Reynard in the hotel has incredible food, and one of the best burgers in the city.  

1. Williamsburg (neighborhood)
  2. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  3. Wythe Hotel (hotel)
  4. Reynard (restaurant)

Chase from Seattle

Still can't beat the Ace Hotel New York.Ferriss is a tad grumpy on it because of the occasional noisy / crowded lobby, but it's still a great mix of casual + cultural.  Adjacent restaurants are the bomb.

1. Ace Hotel New York (hotel)

Dennis

Dream Downtown They have a good vibe with a nice lobby bar. They have a rooftop lounge that becomes a nightclub..pretty good scene on a Tuesday/wed night, steps from the Maritime Hotel, and new Bungalow 8, now named simply No. 8 is right next door.

1. Maritime Hotel (hotel)
  2. No. 8 (attraction)
  3. Dream Downtown (hotel)

Noelle from Tampa, Florida

Depending on what time of year you're visiting. In the summer, the Meatpacking District is cool because the restaurants and clubs/bars are all near by. If you're into that, The Dream Downtown has a crazy pool party every saturday and sunday. If you want more low key cool, then 60 Thompson-A Thompson Hotel is in a nice hood. 

1. Meatpacking District (neighborhood)
  2. Dream Downtown (hotel)
  3. 60 Thompson-A Thompson Hotel (hotel)

Saul from Berkeley, California

Williamsburg would have been the answer a year ago. Although it is getting a bit crowded these days. I'd still look for a place in Brooklyn. I like Brooklyn Heights myself. It's only one stop into Brooklyn from Manhattan, and the rates will be substantially cheaper. Go with AirBnB.

1. Williamsburg (neighborhood)
  2. Brooklyn Heights (attraction)
  3. Manhattan (region)

Julia from Kyiv, Ukraine

Gansevoort Hotels (Gansevoort Park in midtown and Hotel Gansevoort in Meatpacking district). Both has lovely rooftop places with pools. You'll enjoy either of them. I personally enjoy the Meatpacking district - the place that never ever sleeps as, in fact, the whole city... Try Dream Downtown close by as well.

1. Gansevoort Park (hotel)
  2. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)
  3. Dream Downtown (hotel)

Vero from Santo Domingo

Try The Standard New York hotel (website) in the Meatpacking district. It's pretty hip, has a rooftop bar and a nice restaurant on the first floor, both of them are very frequented. and also near the new TAO Downtown.

1. The Standard New York (hotel)
  2. TAO Downtown (restaurant)

Luis

The High Line Hotel in West Chelsea is in a cool spot. great renovation of an old seminary. Small, quiet, but cool. It has an Intelligentsia Coffee located in the lobby. 

1. High Line Hotel (hotel)
  2. Intelligentsia Coffee (restaurant)

Ayesha from Mumbai

Have a look at Belvedere Hotel which is located in the Theatre District. Beautiful rooms, and extremely well located to all the sights and sounds of NY. We had a lovely stay there!

http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/

1. Belvedere Hotel (hotel)

Peter from New York City, New York

I'm a fan of the Yotel New York - 10th Avenue and 42nd St. A little west, but cheap, cool bar, and relatively inexpensive. Also, if you fly in through EWR, you're five feet from the lincoln tunnel.

1. Yotel New York (hotel)

Michael from Washington, DC

Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking rocks!

1. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)

Susan from Manhattan Beach

Crosby Street Hotel may be one of my favorite hotels in the city but my judgement on cool and hip is a touch outdated.

It's quiet (which is unheard of in NY), elegantly decorated, the rooms are spacious, and it's in Soho.

1. Crosby Street Hotel (hotel)

Cameron from Los Angeles

Bowery Hotel - hip, quaint, but get the one bedroom or suite.  Can't go wrong.Also, in LES, I like The Thompson LES or Hotel On Rivington, the latter has got more of a scene.In Soho, I like Mercer Hotel for its hotel bar and The Mercer Kitchen downstairs, and Lure Fishbar across the street.

Nice side, Trump SoHo New York is my go to.  I hear Mondrian SoHo is pretty nice too.If you're into a super sceney scene, then check out Dream Downtown - its got two hot night clubs in it, a fun hotel bar, and adjacent to the new TAO Downtown.

1. Bowery Hotel (hotel)
  2. The Thompson LES (hotel)
  3. Hotel On Rivington (hotel)
  4. Mercer Hotel (hotel)
  5. The Mercer Kitchen (restaurant)
  6. Lure Fishbar (restaurant)
  7. Trump SoHo New York (hotel)
  8. Mondrian SoHo (hotel)
  9. Dream Downtown (hotel)
  10. TAO Downtown (restaurant)

jeff

1. The Mercer (hotel)
  2. Soho Grand Hotel (hotel)
  3. Morgans Hotel (hotel)
  4. Royalton Hotel (hotel)
  5. Tribeca Grand Hotel (hotel)

Shaz from Denver

The Nolitan HotelBowery Hotel. Mondrian SoHo. All nice, and great areas.  

1. The Nolitan Hotel (hotel)
  2. Bowery Hotel (hotel)
  3. Mondrian SoHo (hotel)

Jeff

The James Hotel New York http://www.jameshotels.com/new-york has a rooftop pool and is down in the tribeca area.

1. The James Hotel New York (hotel)

Neslihan from New York City

I'd stay with Airbnb in a $500 apartment, since paid expenses, so I'd experience a true interesting NY experience in a really cool apartment..

Van from Maryland

Many of the hipsters stay Hotel Gansevoort. It is near The Standard New York in the hip Meatpacking District.

1. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)
  2. The Standard New York (hotel)
  3. Meatpacking District (neighborhood)

Janice

Hi Chris S.

I just learned about this great hotel in New York City

1. Affinia Gardens (website)

It is a hotel located on the Upper East Side near Central Park home of the Rockfellers, Kennedys, Roosevelts and Carnegies. The area offers high real estate, quaint restaurants, designer boutiques plus tranquility.

This hotel has spacious rooms which can be difficult to find in New York City.

Things To Do Nearby

Tony's Di Napoli  for famous New York City Pizza

Felice 64 for a drink

Central Park Central Park Zoo

United Nations Plaza

Museum of Modern Art

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

Upper East Side is a peaceful location for art, fashion and shopping. It is a great place to stay for one night that is active/cool/hip. Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Janice Temple

The Skychi Travel Guide

1. New York City (city)
  2. Affinia Gardens (hotel)
  3. Tony's Di Napoli (restaurant)
  4. Felice 64 (restaurant)
  5. Central Park (attraction)
  6. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  7. United Nations Plaza (attraction)
  8. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  9. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (attraction)
  10. Upper East Side (attraction)

Roberto from Coral Gables

Hudson Hotel in the Columbus Circle area & Mondrian SoHo

1. Hudson Hotel (hotel)
  2. Mondrian SoHo (hotel)

J from New York City

I would say stay at Hotel Gansevoort, you'll be in the mix, and they have a great rooftop bar.

1. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)

tiffany from Shelburne Falls

Yikes. These suggestions are good but a little tired. TheNoMad is a good one but it's not downtown. I'd suggest The Marlton Hotel or The Ludlow Hotel New York, Sean Macpherson's newer hotels, if you are wanting '"the latest" thing :) 

1. NoMad (neighborhood)
  2. The Marlton Hotel (hotel)
  3. The Ludlow Hotel New York (hotel)

Meredith from New York City

Kimpton hotels never disappoint, so I'd recommend any of those.  They have a great happy hour daily from 5-6, great hospitality and nice rooms.  If you are a loyalty member you also get money to spend on the mini bar and other customized perks. 

Spyridon from Brooklyn, New York

Bushwick neighborhood in Brooklyn.

1. Bushwick (neighborhood)