Lindsay

What to do with 24 hours in NYC?

Just booked my ticket back to England and I have a 24 hour layover in NYC! I'll land early in the morning so I have an entire day/night to go out explore. What suggestions do you have for getting the most out of the city in a short time? What do I absolutely have to see/do? Food I can't miss out on? 

Agnes from Nyc

Go to the DUMBO area of Brooklyn and take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to the lower Manhattan side of it. ( You can arrange for a tour from tour groups that do this, just google it) Grab a hot dog from a street vendor , find a place to sit and people watch.

1. DUMBO (attraction)
  2. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)

Teresa from New York City

I would start out by hitting a Museum my personal favorites are the Museum of Modern Art or The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Next up Brunch, my favorite spots are Cupping Room Cafe and The Dutch down in Soho.  After you have a fab brunch, wonder around SoHo and soak up the downtown vibe, do a little shopping.

Next i would head to Chelsea Market and the High Line Park.  Grab a coffee or gelato from the market for your stroll along the highline.

I would head back to my room and grab a rest and then get ready for the evening.  If I were eating alone for dinner I would eat at the bar at one of these places PublicCasa MonoHearth or Eataly.  If you are up for more you could head to Raines Law Room a speak easy or Highline Ballroom or so many other places depending on your mood.

1. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  3. Cupping Room Cafe (restaurant)
  4. The Dutch (restaurant)
  5. High Line Park (attraction)
  6. Public (restaurant)
  7. Casa Mono (restaurant)
  8. Hearth (restaurant)
  9. Eataly (restaurant)
  10. Raines Law Room (attraction)
  11. Highline Ballroom (attraction)
  12. Chelsea Market (attraction)

Amerikawit

Try an hour of bikram yoga in the East Village. It's a donation based studio so you pay whatever you want. No mat or experience needed. 

1. East Village (neighborhood)

Chris Lee from Malta

I'd say go up the Empire State Building Observation Deck . It's one of the most amazing views you'll ever experience.

1. Empire State Building Observation Deck (attraction)

Dee from New York City

This can all happy between 34th and 59th street in Manhattan.

Must See attractions:

Times Square (while there catch a matinée of a play)

Madame Tussauds New York (Wax Museum)

Grand Central Terminal (browse the shops and the market)

Empire State Building

Designer shops on 5th avenue & Saks 5th Ave

Food:

Breakfast at Juniors Restaurant Main Cncrs- Great French toast

be sure to pick up Junior's Strawberry or Cherry Cheesecake (My favorites but all are good) - There's a location in grand central Station if you want to pick it up later in the day.l

New York Pizza

New York hot dog off the cart

Carmine's -family style Italian

1. Times Square (attraction)
  2. Madame Tussauds New York (attraction)
  3. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)
  4. Empire State Building (attraction)
  5. Juniors Restaurant Main Cncrs (restaurant)
  6. Carmine's (restaurant)

Melody from New York, New York

Your best bet is to take the A or C train to High St Brooklyn Bridge.  Walk the High StBrooklyn Bridge into Manhattan.  You will get great views of the city and an overall breathtaking experience.  Once on the Manhattan side of the bridge, take a walk through Chinatown New York and eat at one one of the amazing authentic Chinese restaurants.  Walk off your lunch by heading through SoHoSOHO and the West VillageWest Villiage for shopping and exploring.  The west village will lead you over to Chelsea Market.  You may be hungry by this time so stop in one of the great food stalls for a snack.  After head up to the High Line Park for a nice stroll.  End your day with a visit to one of the great free galleries in Chelsea (New York) Enjoy!

1. High St (attraction)
  2. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  3. SoHo (neighborhood)
  4. West Village (neighborhood)
  5. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  6. High Line Park (attraction)
  7. Chelsea (New York) (neighborhood)

Amit from Haifa, Israel

If you do want to get crushed by tourists, go to SoHo.  If it's in a warmer time of year, cross over the Brooklyn Bridge and spend time in DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn.  Look for Morris Food Truck for a grilled cheese experience, or Georgetown Cupcake in soho for their banana split cupcake.

1. SoHo (neighborhood)
  2. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  3. DUMBO (attraction)
  4. Georgetown Cupcake (restaurant)

Lawrence from New Hampshire

Get a discount-priced Broadway ticket at the TKTS Times Square booth, and take in a matinee or evening performance. After that, take the Number 1 train from Times Square to Sheridan Square and find the piano bar Marie's Crisis Cafe (59 Grove St., Greenwich Village) to join the regulars and irregulars in singing Broadway show tunes to the wee hours.

1. TKTS Times Square (attraction)
  2. Marie's Crisis Cafe (restaurant)

Nicole from Texas

Definitely get Pizza while you are there