Noelle

What is the most romantic restaurant in New York

Hello we are going to New York dec 11-16 to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and we would like to dine dec 12 to a nice maybe $$$$ restaurant. we would be in manhattan Central Park area but willing to go anywhere as long as it's great. Our budget would be no more than 500 drinks tip included. No dietery restriction. No Indian or Thai food please. We love them but not for this special occasion .. we like dressing up too.

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hello Noelle,

First let me say, congratulations on one year, and may you have many, many happy one in the years to come.

If I may, I'd like to suggest three restaurants that I have always though of as being very romantic.

The first is the Russian Tea Room.  It oozes with old world charm, and has done so since 1927.  The décor is inspired by modernist Russian designers, and the menu is a surviving example of fine, continental cuisine.   It's been featured in countless movies (including Tootsie and Manhattan) and has long been a must for people from all walks of life.

http://www.russiantearoomnyc.com/

The second is The Water Club.  Even if every table didn't offer a panoramic view,even if it didn't feature live jazz from pianist Robert Mosci, Even if there wasn't cozy a wood-burning fireplace, the excellent food and attentive staff always make it a memorable evening, and have been doing so for more than 30 years.  It's definitely worth serious consideration.

http://thewaterclub.com/

The third is Balthazar Restaurant.  It truly is the closest thin to a true Bistro experience this side of Paris.  Many, many places call themselves bistros, but only because they know how to spell the word.  Balthazar atmosphere, menu and staff (all of whom must apply in person, if seeking employment) really capture the essence of a Parisian bistro.  It's wonderful!

http://www.balthazarny.com/index.php

Oh what the hell, here's one more!

If you enjoy seafood, it never hurts to consider The Sea Grill.  Offering a mix of traditional seafood, sushi, and what I can only describe as minimalist, nouvelle seafood, The Sea Grill also boast an impressive view, as it looks out over the skating rink at Rockefeller Center. 

https://www.patinagroup.com/the-sea-grill

I hope one of these is what you're looking for.  Please feel free to message me, and let me know how you liked them.

1. Russian Tea Room (attraction)
  2. The Water Club (restaurant)
  3. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. The Sea Grill (attraction)

Elena from Ontario (Canada)

Most memorable meal I've ever had was at Eleven Madison Park Restaurant . The food is unparalleled and the service was superlative. There was a very genuine sense that they were glad we were eating there. Yes, it's expensive but there's no question they'll deliver. Be sure to tell them it's your anniversary. Oh, and congrats! 

1. Eleven Madison Park Restaurant (restaurant)

Maria from Fort Worth

For a million dollar view go to the Rainbow Room Top of The Rock. Men have to wear coats. At the top of my list for the next visit is The Campbell Apartment. For some cheesy fun, go Katz's Deli where the famous Harry Meet Sally scene took place. Or grab some to go lunches and head to Central Park

1. Rainbow Room (restaurant)
  2. Top of The Rock (attraction)
  3. The Campbell Apartment (attraction)
  4. Katz's Deli (attraction)
  5. Central Park (attraction)

Taggert

1. Le Bernardin (restaurant)

Jack from New York City

There are nice options surrounding Central Park.  Central Park South I would recommend Marea, which has the reputation as one of NYC's finest Italian restaurants.  Near Central Park East I would recommend Daniel, Daniel Boulud's eponymous homerun.  

Of course, there are wonderful restaurants all over the city and if you're inclined to avoid the tourist-heavy options in midtown I would suggest going further downtown.  Fancy, classic NYC options I can suggest down there are Gotham Bar & Grill, Gramercy Tavern, and Bouley.  One new smash hit spot that may fit the bill is Le Coucou.  I have yet to try that but it has received rave reviews and has an ambience that looks ideal for a fancy anniversary dinner.  Congrats.

1. Marea (restaurant)
  2. Daniel (restaurant)
  3. Gotham Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  4. Gramercy Tavern (restaurant)
  5. Bouley (restaurant)
  6. Le Coucou (restaurant)