Howard
Fayetteville

Well priced hotels in/around Midtown? Budget friendly places to eat?

I am planning on going to New York next year with my family and we are trying to find a well priced hotel for the three of us. We want to try and spend $200 or less a night for the hotel room. What are some great, yet affordable places to eat/get coffee? Thanks!

Matthew from South Beach

Hello Howard,

I'm from New York originally and travel back there frequently. Two hundred per night is very difficult for Midtown, but I did stay at Park Central Hotel in Midtown (On 56st right near central park) for only about $220 for the night just a couple of weeks ago. One of the major sites (Kayak or Orbitz I forget) were running a sale and for the inflated NYC prices, this was a steal. The rooms were very nicely remodeled and the location is excellent for midtown. You may be able to find similar deals in the Times Square area if you look far enough in advance. Two hundred per night is very difficult for a hotel anywhere in Manhattan ( decent one at least) but it can be done if you keep looking well in advance and leave yourself plenty of time to shop around. 

For affordable eating, PJ Clarke's is the best hamburger place I've been to anywhere and its affordable. Hill Country Barbecue Market can also be a great deal for the price. For coffee shops, midtown may not have too many quiet non-chain places, but if you want to try something new with great coffee, check out Oren's Daily Roast - Times Square - they have a few locations. Hope this helps. Enjoy NYC

-Matt

1. Park Central Hotel (attraction)
  2. Times Square (metro area)
  3. Manhattan (region)
  4. PJ Clarke's (restaurant)
  5. Hill Country Barbecue Market (restaurant)
  6. Oren's Daily Roast - Times Square (restaurant)

Annemarie from New York City

Under $200 in Midtown is a stretch, however if you don't mind going just $50/nt up, I highly recommend the High Line Hotel. It just opened right by the  High Line Park and it lives in a former monastery. It's gorgeous, great location, looks like something out of Harry Potter.

1. High Line Hotel (hotel)
  2. High Line Park (attraction)
  3. High Line Hotel (hotel)

Dean from New York City

Hi Howard, with hotels in NYC it's all about managing expectations and context. Space is obviously at a premium so they run small but usually pretty efficient with their space. As others have suggested I'd try a Hotwire or other aggregate to give you the best options at the best prices. I've lived here in NYC for 16 years so my hotel suggestions might be limited but I think I can help you with food ideas. If your idea of midtown extends down to the '30s I'd definitely take the family to Wine:30 on 30th between Park and Madison. It's some of the best food at the best prices in the city. And if you're in SoHo, Pulino's has space for a family and great food. Slightly touristy but nothing wrong with that. Corner Bistro in the West Village is also great and a city institution.

In general, diners are always quick, easy and good for the dollar and you generally don't have to walk too far from your hotel to find one.

Hope this helps.

1. Wine:30 (attraction)
  2. Pulino's (restaurant)
  3. Corner Bistro (restaurant)

I'm not sure I can get you under or at $200/night without recommending a hostel but I can recommend  The Benjamin Hotel and  The Jewel Hotel (which I think used to be called something else). I've stayed at both and managed to find specials in each case. Both are very centrally located, were clean, and as I remember, had great customer service. Have a blast!

1. The Benjamin Hotel (hotel)
  2. The Jewel Hotel (hotel)

Bente from Haarlem

Hi Howard, I would advise you to try airbnb.com and get and appartment instead of a hotel room. That means you can get cheaper accommodation in a more central area and given that you are with a family it probably gives you more space. My husband and I stayed in a really nice appartment in West Village for which we spent I think around $110 a night and we loved having the space and pretending we actually lived in NYC.

Don from Albuquerque

If you want to save money, a very pleasant hotel is the La Quinta Inn Queens (New York City)  It is located in Queens (an outer borough of Manhattan, and is literally two subway stops over the river (a ten minute ride) away from Grand Central Station (a great hub to travel anywhere in the city from) in the heart of downtown Manhattan. La Quinta's offer a near luxury hotel room for less than $100 per night. By staying in Queens you avoid the high prices of Manhattan and get much more for your money. It is located in a very quiet industrial neighborhood. Busy by day, very quiet by night. Not pretty, but safe, and you are less than two blocks away from the subway station. For the money you save you will be able to eat very well! You will have lots of company with other money saving tourists and business folks at this hotel. No hotel in Manhattan that charges $100 per night is worth staying in.

By the way, further along Queens Blvd  (near the Bliss St, stop on the subway) is renowned for excellent low cost ethnic restaurants from every part of the world (This area of Queens is a very pleasant working class area with a wonderful mix of international cultures ). You can have a very nice dinner for around $10 or so - far below the average in Manhattan.

Starbucks are all over Manhattan if you. However, they don't offer the best value. If you come into Grand Central Station, try Zaro's Bakery for coffee and a bagel. Most eateries frequented by office workers all over the city usually have a good breakfast deal before 10AM. Or, eat breakfast at the hotel (La Quinta has a good breakfast-not fancy, but it will hold you until lunch) and splurge on lunch or dinner. If you want a good cup of joe, Dunkin Donuts are everywhere and have great coffee.

For dinner in Manhattan, some of the best value can be found in the " Hell's Kitchen" neighborhood, which is from aprox. 39th Street to 59th Street along Ninth Avenue. You can have a great dinner for $20 or so and its a great place to walk. Eat here when you visit Times Square - Times Square is not the best place to eat, unless you want a pure fast food experience.

I am a lifelong New Yorker, so these tips are from an insiders perspective. I keep some of my best New York City photos at http://petersonlive.com/new-york-city-photos/ Check it out!

1. La Quinta Inn Queens (New York City) (hotel)
  2. Grand Central Station (attraction)
  3. Manhattan (region)
  4. Zaro's Bakery (restaurant)
  5. Hell's Kitchen (attraction)
  6. Times Square (metro area)

Jacob from Houston

Try to find deals on jetsetter for hotels. So many food places,  Mexicana Mama or  San Loco for mexican,  Pylos greek,  Rosemary’s Enoteca & Trattoria  or Carmine's (Family style) for Italian.  Taim has great falafel. Posto has great thin crust Pizza

1. Pylos (restaurant)
  2. Carmine's (restaurant)
  3. Taim (restaurant)
  4. Mexicana Mama (restaurant)
  5. San Loco (restaurant)
  6. Rosemary’s Enoteca & Trattoria (restaurant)
  7. Posto (restaurant)

Travis from Des Moines

My favorite affordable eateries in Midtown are the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien Hotel and either Carnegie Deli or Katz's Delicatessen for NYC pastrami 

1. Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien Hotel (restaurant)
  2. Carnegie Deli (restaurant)
  3. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)

Sachin

try  Chelsea Highline Hotel on 11th Ave and W23rd in Chelsea. Reasonable location and service for the price. 

1. Chelsea Highline Hotel (hotel)