David
New Hampshire

David from New Hampshire asked

Ways to celebrate my 50th in NYC!?

I'll be in town for the first weekend in August to celebrate my 50th with a couple of my college buddies. I've been to NY many times on business and pleasure and am quite familiar with the city. However, I am looking to do something the locals would recommend. I'll be staying on 58th and 7th but am willing to travel some. I am not a big drinker and don't smoke so bars and cigar places are not for me. I like to bike, run, fish, woodwork, sports, classic cars, cook, eat cool and unique foods, see cool museums and will try most anything once. I think I want to include the 9/11 Memorial Tower and maybe the Met. Anything after that I am game. Any suggestions that would make the weekend stand out but? Thanks.

jami from New York City

By the time you get here the observation deck of the new World Trade Centerwill be open!!!! 

1. World Trade Center (attraction)
beth from Malibu

HI David,

Happy birthday - I spent my 50th in niece after having lived there for 25 years and moved to the west coast, no other place was perfect for me to celebrate other than nyc - 12 of my closest and dearest friends and family met me in Central Park at the The Loeb Boathouse Central Park - we row boated for an hour or so, I hosted a lovely brunch at the boat house restaurant and then we flew kites.  In the evening my husband, kids and I went to see a broadway show - Bar Centrale is a fun, inexpensive place for dinner that often has performers showing up after the show... reservations are a must - food is mediocre - you are there for the ambience - if you want good pre-show food Orso never disappoints...Good luck!

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. The Loeb Boathouse Central Park (restaurant)
  3. Bar Centrale (restaurant)
  4. Orso (restaurant)
Doug from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Do the http://hackthemet.com tour for an after hours sideways look at the Metropolitan Ave Get a spectacular look at NYC from the air http://www.libertyhelicopter.com . Be thoroughly entertained downtown at The Slipper Room http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-slipper-room-new-york . And have a culinary adventure at Jungsik http://jungsik.kr/#index

David
Doug, great suggestions. I would have never thought of these. Definitely going to incorporate at least a couple if not all.

1. Metropolitan Ave (attraction)
  2. The Slipper Room (restaurant)
  3. Jungsik (restaurant)
Dee from New York City

If you're adventurous you and your crew can go kayaking in the waters surrounding manhattan at the New York Kayak Company, Inc.Manhattan Kayak Company or at the Manhattan Community Boathouse - Pier 96

Stephanie from New York City

Hi David! Head over to Brooklyn and wander through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Really pretty area, away from the city buzz. High Line Park is where a lot of locals like to hangout. Cool area that would be fun to celebrate a birthday at!

David
Stephanie, I love the Botantucal Garden idea. I'll check it out. I visited High Line Park last year. I like the food selections below. Thank you for your suggestions.

1. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  2. Brooklyn Botanic Garden (attraction)
  3. High Line Park (attraction)
Scott from San Francisco

Try and secure a reservation for Eleven Madison Park Restaurant for a world class dining experience.  Some might call it the meal of a lifetime.  

David
Scott, nice suggestion. I never would have thought of that.