Heather

Things To Do with Young Children

We will be in NYC for a quick stay at the beginning of September with our 3 and 5-year-olds. We are planning to take a carriage ride through the park and visit the Central Park Zoo. Any other suggestions for little ones that will also keep my husband and me entertained? (I've been to the city several times but never with children, so I've seen many of the touristy things.) 

Fritzi from San Francisco

I would suggest you take the Fifth Avenue bus downtown.  It is a very entertaintaining ride, you can point out all the sights such as Tiffany & Co.Trump TowerRockefeller PlazaEmpire State Buildingand you can take this bus all the way to Battery Parkat the tip of Manhattan.  Make sure to ask the bus driver if this bus goes all the way downtown.  It is a very entertaining ride and often how I sightsee in Manhattan.  Once you reach Battery Park, you can take  a round trip on the Staten Island Ferry, which is free.

The High Line Park is an urban park which was converted from old railroad lines.  It's very see and be seen, an urban adventure.

American Museum of Natural History is paradise for kids.  Dioramas, whales, rocks, dinosaurs and a planetarium makes for great entertainment.

Enjoy.

1. Tiffany & Co. (attraction)
  2. Trump Tower (attraction)
  3. Rockefeller Plaza (attraction)
  4. Empire State Building (attraction)
  5. Battery Park (attraction)
  6. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)
  7. High Line Park (attraction)
  8. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)

terry from New York City

As a Manhattan mother of 3 kids (now grown up), definitely recommend the Central Park Zoo and its adjacent children's zoo. Also, 81 St - Museum of Natural History.  Go to some nearby children's playgrounds where there's sand and water (depends where you're staying). There's one in famous Washington Square Park so parents can visit the park, relax and people-watch. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for some great views - my kids used to love it.

1. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  2. 81 St - Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  3. Washington Square Park (attraction)
  4. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)

Mireille from Dalhousie, New Brunswick

1. Times Square (attraction)
  2. Times Square (metro area)
  3. Madame Tussauds New York (attraction)
  4. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  5. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  6. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  7. Top of The Rock (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

I live just north of the city.  I've tried to remember the things that sparked my excitement when I was a child.  Believe me, that was no small feat!

The Staten Island Ferry is a fun, short boat ride for everyone. So is the Ferry out to the Statue of Liberty Ellis Island

I remember the biggest thrill of my first visit to New York was riding on the Subway. Funny thing is, it was a thrill for many of my adult friends from Boston too. It's funny because, Boston is a city with it's own subway system. The good thing about the subway is it opens up the entire city to you. Plus it's usually quicker, and definitely cheaper than a cab.

I don't know if you have anything like it at home, but something that is fun for all, and free unless you decide otherwise, is a stroll through Chinatown New York.  Just walking through can be great fun.

The USS Intrepid is fun for kids of all ages.  It's docked at pier 86, on the west end of 46th St.

Depending on when you go, the American Museum of Natural Historyis a good time. Since it's usually a lengthy time commitment, and an indoor venue, I'd recommend it if the weather is either cold or inclement.

I also suggest the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge   Yes, it get mobbed with tourists, but it's historic, impressive, and breezy relief on a warm day.

Also, if you're in lower Manhattan, you'll be close to Katz's Deli. Located on the corner of Houston and Ludlow). This is one of the last, true deli's in New York. The wall is covered with photos o thevarious celebrities who've eaten there. Also, it's where Meg Ryan's famous scene from, "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed; but I don't suggest you show the youngsters that film, just yet!

1. Statue of Liberty Ellis Island (attraction)
  2. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  3. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  4. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  5. Katz's Deli (attraction)