Sam

The best food in the city

Does anyone know a restaurant that I have to eat at when in New York? I love italian food and will be near near Amsterdam

katie from Brooklyn

I loved my experience at Torrisi Italian Specialties. It's a tiny warm restaurant in Little Italy, but nothing like the other restaurants there. It is new (within the last few years) and highly rated for the food as well as the chefs ability to think outside the box. It's such a unique experience combined with mind-blowing food. I highly recommend it, especially the New York "themed" tasting menu. So inventive and playful!

Torrisi Italian Specialties

Another good one is Marea, which is on Central Park South, so close to where you are staying. There octopus pasta is mind blowing.

Marea

One last one that I thought was excellent was Del Posto. The 100 layer lasagna is very unique.

Del Posto

That said, Lupa and Babbo (especially the pasta tasting menu) are delicious. If you can't get a reservation at Babbo, try your luck with grabbing a seat at the bar at 5 pm.

1. Marea (restaurant)
  2. Del Posto (restaurant)
  3. Torrisi Italian Specialties (restaurant)

Val from Los Angeles

I just got back from NYC and the first night we went to Mario Batali's Babbo--see above mention from Mike L.

The second night we went to L'Artusi and--dare I say--it rivaled/beat Babbo in my book!

The cheese list had a good variety to delish Italian cheeses and the Squid Ink Seafood Pasta (a special, not on the menu) was AMAZING!

228 W 10th St, New York, NY

1. Babbo (restaurant)
  2. L'Artusi (restaurant)

Ordinarily I would say stay away from Little Italy except for La Mela Ristorante. Incredible, cheap Italian food, although no where near Amsterdam Ave. 

1. La Mela Ristorante (restaurant)

M. from Brooklyn

My favorite place is Mario Batalli's Babbo.  You'll love it, just be sure to call 30 days (to the day) ahead for your reservation.  

1. Babbo (restaurant)

Drew from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

it's not close to amsterdam, but  Lupa is the best italian in the city.  not fancy, but styled on roman trattoria.  always solid.  

we're also partial to  Dell'Anima in the west village

1. Lupa (restaurant)
  2. Dell'Anima (restaurant)

Jacob from Houston

Rosemary’s Enoteca & Trattoria in west village is really good

1. Rosemary’s Enoteca & Trattoria (restaurant)

Lori

Carmine's on Broadway...it's family style though so bring some friends!

1. Carmine's (restaurant)

Natalia

@@

I would recommend Coppola's West. It is very good! And I am not even a fan of italian cuisine. The restaurant is on 79th Street right by Amsterdam.

1. Coppola's West (restaurant)

Sebnem from Istanbul

For me the must eat in NYC is the Pastrami Queen on the Lexington Ave.

1. Pastrami Queen (restaurant)

Annemarie from New York City

I really like OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria. It's casual, the pizzas are perfect for sharing, and you cannot leave without trying the olive oil gelato.

1. OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria (restaurant)