Nancy
Birmingham (Alabama)

Thanksgiving 2016

I need help from those of you who just got back from spending the Thanksgiving holidays in NYC.  At age 60, my husband and I love New York, but aren't crazy about crowds. What were your favorite non-touristy things to do?  We love walking tours, museums, Broadway shows and anything outdoors.  Where did you stay? We don't like to eat expensive meals----we'd rather spend our money on things to do. 

Scott from San Francisco

Non touristy things are abundant.  For example, go tour the grand and famous hotel lobbies, like the The PlazaThe Waldorf Astoria and many more.  Stroll the Bowery and check out what might be the largest collection of lighting stores anywhere, along with restaurant supply stores too.  

Museum of Modern Art has a Friday Free admission night.  

There are a lot of non-expensive food experiences to try in NYC.  

EssaBagel is the best bagel (with nova lox of course) on the planet.

Doughnut Plant has amazing elevated donuts 

When you're at the Plaza, go downstairs and check out the Todd English Food Hall.  They have a lot of great things but the black and white cookies at William Greenberg are terrific.  

Korean Fried Chicken is wonderful and addicting.  Try BonChon Chicken or Kyochon Manhattan.  

1. The Plaza (hotel)
  2. The Waldorf Astoria (hotel)
  3. Bowery (neighborhood)
  4. Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  5. EssaBagel (restaurant)
  6. Doughnut Plant (restaurant)
  7. Todd English Food Hall (attraction)
  8. William Greenberg (restaurant)
  9. BonChon Chicken (restaurant)
  10. Kyochon Manhattan (restaurant)

Theresa

If you are going to be there for Thanksgiving go to Central Park the night before to the balloon inflation party - there are crowds but it's a great time, fun mood.

1. Central Park (attraction)

Hello Nancy! I love NYC at any time of the year; however, you are right, the city can be more enjoyable and pleasant without unnecessary crowds. I always suggest to do morning walks on Central Park, starting probably by accessing The Mall and the southern end of The Mall known as the Literary Walk. This beautiful area is surrounded by American Elm trees.  The unique promenade will take you to another famous places such as Bethesda Fountain, Tavern On The Green, Belvedere Castle, Conservatory Garden, Kerbs Boathouse, The Pond and many other amazing spots. I also recommend High Line Park, a 1.45 mile-long linear park built on an elevated section of NYC. It will give you the chance to walk by the Chelsea Market, the Meatpacking District, the Gansevoort St, Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Bridge, etc.

About the shows, I have seen a few of the best Times Square Broadway shows. A must see and classic show is "The Lion King" at the Minskoff Theatre. However, there is a new show that I highly recommend and it is On your Feet at the Marquis Theatre.

Most of the time I stay at the Wyndham Garden Hotel (Newark Liberty airport) and take the New Jersey Transit Railroad  to Pennsylvania Station. I stay 2/3 nights in Manhattan to watch the Broadway or ballet shows at Lincoln Center and my favorite hotel is Park Central Hotel pretty close to Central Park. This way it will be more cheaper!

About not expensive restaurants you can try Shake Shack, Fresh & Co, or Le Pain Quotidien.

Hope you enjoy some pics from my family album.

Enjoy it!!

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. Bethesda Fountain (attraction)
  3. Tavern On The Green (restaurant)
  4. Belvedere Castle (attraction)
  5. Conservatory Garden (attraction)
  6. Kerbs Boathouse (attraction)
  7. The Pond (attraction)
  8. High Line Park (attraction)
  9. Chelsea Market (attraction)
  10. Meatpacking District (neighborhood)
  11. Gansevoort St (attraction)
  12. Greenwich Village (neighborhood)
  13. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  14. Times Square (metro area)
  15. "The Lion King" at the Minskoff Theatre (attraction)
  16. Marquis Theatre (attraction)
  17. Wyndham Garden Hotel (attraction)
  18. New Jersey Transit Railroad (attraction)
  19. Pennsylvania Station (attraction)
  20. Lincoln Center (attraction)
  21. Park Central Hotel (attraction)
  22. Shake Shack (restaurant)
  23. Fresh & Co (attraction)
  24. Le Pain Quotidien (restaurant)

Jeff from Brooklyn, New York

Not sure there are non-touristy walking tours, but the one done by the Tenement Museum is very interesting.

1. Tenement Museum (attraction)

Annette from New Jersey

I suggest visiting the The Cloisters a museum with beautiful medieval works of art and the famed unicorn tapestries. Head over the nearby Beans and Vines for good eats after or walk the gorgeous for Tyron Park and bring your own snacks to eat along the way.

1. The Cloisters (attraction)
  2. Beans and Vines (restaurant)