Sarah
Key West

September & October cultural and social events

Hey! I'm going to be in the NYC area for the months of September and October. Any big events I shouldn't miss? Bars or restaurants I have to check out? Museums? I've done a lot of the touristy things (Empire State, Times Square, etc.) so I'm looking more for cultural, social events. I'm 22, traveling alone. Love exploring, live music, poetry, dance, and theater. If you don't know of specific events even just pointing me toward websites that list some would be great! I've fell into tourist traps while researching for some myself. Thank you! 

JJ from New York City

NYFW New York Fashion Week of course! This year I believe it goes from September 4th to September 11th. Some shows will have tickets available for purchase, tho it can get expensive. But it is a great time to people watch if you hit the trendy spots. Fashion editors, photographers, models and bloggers flock from the world to the Big Apple during this week!

Annemarie from New York City

Since you've visited all the major events, you should definitely get to the Queens County Farm Museum in the fall, and if you don't mind taking a boat ride, the Staten Island Philharmonic, which has outdoor concerts for as long as the weather holds out, right near beautiful Snug Harbor Cultural Center

This isn't fall-related, but if you're traveling alone and looking for a drink and to meet some people, I
recommend Monkey Bar, where you can hear big bands and swing music and everyone dresses up and it's a really light-hearted, good time. Sometimes Michael Aranella and the Dreamland Orchestra play there, too. 

1. Queens County Farm Museum (attraction)
  2. Staten Island Philharmonic (attraction)
  3. Snug Harbor Cultural Center (attraction)
  4. Monkey Bar (restaurant)

Matt from New York City

Cultural attractions in New York are constantly changing. Perhaps the definitive source of info on your interests is the New Yorker's Goings On About Town column:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture (scroll down to the big "Goings On About Town" banner)

It only lists things going on NOW, as opposed to giving you a calendar of what's to come. However, if you look through it, you'll probably find some things--mostly art exhibits--that are currently open and will still be open in October.

coco from Brooklyn (New York)

If you're in brooklyn, this link shows all activities in DUMBO park: http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/events free pilates, yoga, kayaking, etc... you can rent a citibike and ride around, it's a gorgeous area.

1. DUMBO (attraction)

Larry from Hopewell Junction

The Feast of San Gennaro street festival runs from Sept. 11th to the 21st in Little Italy. Here's the website: SanGennaro.org.

1. Feast of San Gennaro (attraction)
  2. Little Italy (neighborhood)

Rachel from Orlando

Hi Sarah!

This is one of my favorite sites to see what's going on in NYC for the month, week, or day!

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/events-festivals

If you want REALLY good boozy brunches (read: bottomless mimosas) I suggest the following:

-PS 450

- Sweet Chick

For live music, art, and lots of people, check out the Brooklyn Museum on First Saturdays! It's from 5-11pm. You'll really enjoy that if you love live music, dance, art, etc. 

Hope that helps!

Have fun in NYC!

1. PS 450 (attraction)
  2. Sweet Chick (restaurant)
  3. Brooklyn Museum (attraction)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Take a cruise on Schooner PIONEER (1885) out of South Street Seaport. A lovely two hours in New York Harbor, by Governors Island and the Statue of Liberty, under old time canvas sail. Beautiful, especially in September.

1. Schooner PIONEER (1885) (attraction)

Hi, Sarah,

You're coming to New York at such a great time! So much going on then! 

The New York City Ballet opens its season in mid-to-late September. This company is absolutely on fire at the moment with some of the best dancers they've ever had (if you can catch something with Robert Fairchild, Sarah Mearns, or Ashley Bouder in particular try to do that--they're my faves!). The New York Philharmonic also opens in the fall and you can get great, cheap tickets easily. If you find yourself in Brooklyn, check out the Brooklyn Book Festival. This event attracts some huge names in the book world as speakers and it's just a really cool event in general. Also check out the Brooklyn Academy of Music which always has something interesting going on. 

In October, there's a really cool event called Open House New York that allows you access to buildings and structures that are normally closed to the public. Here's the link for information about it:

http://ohny.org/about/mission

I would for sure check out the schedule at the 92nd Street Y. That place has one dance/music/literary performance or discussion after another. Just make sure you get tickets for whatever you want to see as early as possible because they sell out really, really fast--I've been shut out quite a few times. I'm not that into poetry but I know they have a special poetry center there so check that out, too. Here's their website:

http://www.92y.org

http://www.92y.org

You might want to also check out the Bowery Poetry which is sort of a hot spot for spoken word/poetry readings. Celebrities go there a lot to read their work.  

Finally, you might want to check out the New Yorker Festival at Conde Nast. I haven't been to this yet but I've heard it's amazing. Lots of speakers from all different arts genres from television to music to theater. 

1. New York City Ballet (attraction)
  2. New York Philharmonic (restaurant)
  3. Brooklyn Book Festival (attraction)
  4. Brooklyn Academy of Music (attraction)
  5. Open House New York (attraction)
  6. 92nd Street Y (attraction)
  7. Bowery Poetry (attraction)
  8. New Yorker Festival at Conde Nast (attraction)

Gregor

I'd recommend spending time in Brooklyn. My friend's stayed with someone on Airbnb and the person actually ran bike tours as well.

1. Brooklyn (neighborhood)