Amanda
Atlanta

Safe neighborhood in NYC for Mother-Daughter trip

My mom and I will be taking a five-night trip to NYC this October.  This is her first time there and only my second.  What would be our best neighborhood to stay in for seeing the usual sights? What's the best area for renting an apartment?  What's the best area if we stay in a hotel (under $300)?

We would like to stay in Manhattan and would love a safe, quiet area with cafes and restaurants nearby. Is this even possible?

Rachel from New York City

If you want quiet and local, the Upper West Side is very good. That plus the East 50s (not west) to 80s. In focusing on location, I have walked by La Quinta Inn Manhattan& CPW. Not sure how fancy it is, but the neighborhood is non-touristy and hard to beat, was a tiny bit surprised to see a hotel there. It is close to a bunch of subways and Museum of Natural History, and the Columbus & Amsterdam Avenues in that exact area have good restaurants.  The Pod Hotel and The Roger Smith Hotel in Midtown East are also small but not crazy expensive and in safe, convenient neighborhoods. Then there is The Franklin Hotel: I cannot vouch for how the rooms are, but the area, 87th & Lex, is local and convenient. I know some have mentioned Greenpoint and Williamsburg--those areas may be cheaper but Greenpoint is very limited in getting to the city, especially at night. The only train is the L to the G, and the L can be down a lot. Try to stay in the city. 

1. La Quinta Inn Manhattan (hotel)
  2. The Pod Hotel (hotel)
  3. The Roger Smith Hotel (hotel)
  4. The Franklin Hotel (hotel)
  5. Greenpoint (attraction)
  6. Williamsburg (neighborhood)

Michelle from New York City

Hi Amanda! Most of Manhattan is extremely safe, especially if you're interested in seeing the usual tourist attractions. I would recommend getting an Airbnb apartment, because hotels can be insanely expensive (I would plan on spending no less than 200 per night if you go with a hotel).

In Manhattan you should check out Midtown for tourist attractions (not my favorite but you mentioned seeing the sights!), Chelsea, and then head down to the East Village for amazing cafes and shopping, as well as SoHo and the Lower East Side. These are NOT the only safe areas - there are plenty of perfectly safe places to go, but these are my favorites.

I also highly recommend getting on the L train and heading to Williamsburg and Greenpoint in Brooklyn, where people who have never been here can feel perfectly safe and enjoy lots of shopping and restaurants, parks, etc. Get off the L on Bedford Ave and walk up and down that avenue. Walk to and pass McCarren park to get to Greenpoint and make a left onto Manhattan Ave to get into the heart another charming & safe community. There's lots to do!

When it comes to NYC first-time trips, I would simply recommend taking the usual precautions of keeping an eye on your belongings, not staring up at buildings as you walk and moving along at a steady pace as you enjoy your time. Looking too lost can make you a target for pick-pockets... which are NOT as common as you may think, but do happen.

I wear expensive clothes and jewelry all the time. That's not a problem. I wouldn't wear those things in East New York, but where you're staying, it's fine. ;) 

I'm speaking as someone whose family grew up here in Brooklyn, and I myself have lived here for 12 years.

You'll be fine and it'll be fun!

Ellen from Dallas

I lived on Washington Square Southas a grad student attending NYU and have visited the city - on business or pleasure - at least 50 times. I've stayed in just about every single major area - with or without my husband (i.e., alone) and never once felt unsafe. It's all about how you handle yourself: walk briskly, look ahead, don't stare at people, keep up with the crowd, carry your purse firmly (better yet, don't carry one) and skip wearing any good jewelry, including rings. If you act like you don't belong, you won't.

As for a good hotel room under $300, you can't do better than a Hotwire.com 4-star. You can pick the general area. Keep in mind that October is "high season" in NYC - the time when the plays, opera, social events and art showings get into full swing after the long hot summer when the city is deserted. You'll pay a premium in October, November and December.

If you like a particular hotel, call the hotel directly (not the 1-800 number) and ask the booking person if he/she can help you get something for under $300 for a super-special occasion with your mother. I would try the Grand Hyatt New York because you can't beat the area or Grand Central Terminal for easy walking, shopping, eating and - most important - train or bus transportation via Metrocard. If they can't do it, ask which other NYC Hyatts might be able to do it. New Yorkers are wonderful about helping despite anything you may have heard.

Good luck. Just have a wonderful time and don't worry. You'll be safe and walking is the most fabulous entertainment around:-)!

1. Washington Square South (attraction)
  2. Grand Hyatt New York (hotel)
  3. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)

Diane from New York City

Chelsea (New York) and SoHo are safe areas, anywhere on the upper east side is extremely safe( 50-86 street 5th , park ave etc.)  

Most of Manhattan is safe especially if you are not out very late at night . Tourist areas around theater district is safe especially on main streets. Stay off the subway late at night.

1. Chelsea (New York) (attraction)
  2. SoHo (neighborhood)

Fritzi from San Francisco

It is possible but not easy.  I would recommend you stay either uptown or midtown,  close to Central Park and great museums like the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museumand The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Or you could look at Chelsea (New York), which is superhip, has the highline and tons of nightlife. I don't recommend Times square as too touristy and the village, while charming, means you constantly have to travel uptown to the museums and the park. It happens I have been researching this very topic and the inventory of apartments on AirBNB, for example, is constantly shifting.  There are definitely places for 2 under $300, but be sure to watch out for the cleaning fee and read the reviews. As you search for hotels, filter for "Eastside," because the properties are usually newer.  Dynamic pricing is the rule of the day, but I have found the Hyatt and the Wyndham hotels have better deals Hilton and Marriott (and you get the safety of a national brand).  Even Holiday Inns are super expensive in NYC.  The only deal I found is with the Choice hotel brand, and at the Clarion Hotel, on Park and 30th, the rooms are tiny.  Make sure you factor in the tax, because in NYC the hotel tax adds 20%.  If you have hotel points, you can sometimes get "points plus cash" deals that make the hotel rooms way more affordable.  If you have AMEX or Chase points, you can use them for hotel nights. Good luck and have a great trip.

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (attraction)
  3. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (attraction)
  4. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  5. Chelsea (New York) (attraction)

Rachel from Los Angeles

Hi, lived in NYC for 6 years and you're going to be hard pressed to do what you're asking. 1) the usual sights aren't in great neighborhoods...Times Square is the worst and the restaurants are expensive and bad food. If you want nice, adorable neighborhoods you should stay in west village/Greenwich village but you're going to commute to sights...also, under 300.00 is almost impossible. I would STRONGLY recommend staying in the west village or soho or battery park.  

2) you're going to be safe everywhere. NYC is full of people so you're never alone. You're more likely to be robbed/attacked in a smaller city with less walking traffic.  

3) don't believe old hype about NYC. It's safe and people are nice but be a smart traveler. Don't walk up subway steps and stop right at the top to look at your phone or a map. Get out of the way and step to the side. The sidewalk is our freeway...if people went 20 mph in the fast lane you'd freak out. It's the exact same.

Laura from Atlanta

My mom and I did several mother/daughter trips to New York. One of the hotels we liked is Novotel New York Times Square on 52nd Street. Its is a nice safe hotel (lobby is not on the street level, which is a nice security perk) but you can easily walk to Times SquareNBC (NY) Employees FCUTheater District - Times Square, and lots of fun little restaurants. Not quaint and quiet, but super convenient and very reasonable.

1. Novotel New York Times Square (hotel)
  2. Times Square (attraction)
  3. NBC (NY) Employees FCU (attraction)
  4. Theater District - Times Square (neighborhood)

Doug from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

The West Village area. Charming, safe, lots of restaurants and shopping and close to the subways.  Try the The Standard - East Village  for hip and close to the Whitney MuseumThe Maritime HotelDream Downtown in the meatpacking (just north of West Village. Other options: Gramercy Park South (Gramercy Park (Gramercy Hotel), NoHo (The Bowery Hotel), The Standard HotelNoho 

1. West Village (neighborhood)
  2. The Standard - East Village (hotel)
  3. Whitney Museum (attraction)
  4. The Maritime Hotel (hotel)
  5. Dream Downtown (hotel)
  6. Gramercy Park South (attraction)
  7. NoHo (attraction)
  8. The Bowery Hotel (attraction)
  9. The Standard Hotel (hotel)

Ellen from Dallas

1. Washington Square South (attraction)
  2. Grand Hyatt New York (hotel)
  3. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)

Ellen from Dallas

1. Washington Square South (attraction)
  2. Grand Hyatt New York (hotel)
  3. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)

Ellen from Dallas

1. Washington Square South (attraction)
  2. Grand Hyatt New York (hotel)
  3. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)