Liat
Rehovot

New York City, Florida, Nashville, Ohio, Texas, Alabama

Road Trip 10 days

In September I will be in the USA for 15 days 4 days in NYC 4 days in Florida.

I will start my trip in NYC and will finish In Miami, Florida.

Please adivce me on road trip between NYC to Florida in 10 days states include: Ohio, Nashville Tenesee, Texas and Alabama.

I will be with car and can drive a lot this is not a problem.

You can do this if you leave out Texas.  I can get  you from NYC to Miami and include Ohio, Nashville and Alabama. 

From New York City head west to the first stop in Hershey (Chocolate Town),  (3 hours) and then you can visit Chocolate World or take a ride on one of the many roller coasters.  Now go west in Pennsylvania through Wheeling (West Virginia)  to Columbus (6 hours)  Next visit Louisville  (3 hours) home of the Kentucky Derby and the indie music scene. Nashville is just another 2.5 hours from Louisville.  It is another 4 hours drive to Alabama to Montgomerywhich has both memorials to Jefferson Davis and Rosa Parks.  From here I'd recommend going 6.5 hours to Saint Augustine the oldest continually occupied city in the United States (settled first by the Spanish).  You can spend some time here before driving another 4 hours to Miami

1. New York City (city)
  2. Hershey (city)
  3. Wheeling (West Virginia) (city)
  4. Columbus (city)
  5. Louisville (city)
  6. Nashville (city)
  7. Montgomery (city)
  8. Saint Augustine (city)
  9. Miami (city)

Don't drive in NYC - get the car when you leave the city

Michael from Manhattan

Hi Liat! What an exciting trip! And road trips are my particular favorite!

With that said, you have 4 days in New York and 4 days in Florida (should we assume Miami?) which leaves you 7 days to drive in between.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the distances in the US, but with the states you mentioned, particularly Ohio and Texas (which are a days drive each out of your way New York to Florida), you'll be really, really, really pushing it to have any fun, unless, driving for 7 days straight, 12 hours a day, is what you'd love (say you picked up a convertible car from the rental company)! But, no offense to our residents in Ohio and Texas, there are far more interesting ways to drive between FL and NY without including these states.

To give you an example of the length you are looking at... The state of Texas, by itself, will take about 2 days of non-stop driving from either end to the other with a hotel break in between. Just to get to Cleveland Ohio from New York City, for another example, is a day of driving. From the top of Florida to Miami is a long day, particularly as you'll find traffic.

With that said, I am assuming you chose the states you did with purpose (friends or famous sights). Theoretically, you could possibly make a road trip going New York to Ohio (which city will be important as it is a pretty large state to cross too), then head south through Cincinnati to Kentucky (bourbon and horse country!) continue to Nashville, honky tonk at a few bars, jump back in the car quickly, drive another day or two to the coast of Alabama, then meander along the highways into the Florida panhandle all the way down to south Florida. But... this itinerary means driving and really no time to visit any towns in between, let alone your city destinations.

As such, if I could pick one itinerary over another, I would skip Ohio, Texas, Alabama, and Tennessee for another visit to the US (and you could see all of those on another 10 day drive, or, road trip a couple, then fly to Texas). They are just too far inland if your start and end points are along the Atlantic Ocean.

Instead, you can find really, really amazing drives straight south from New York to Florida. When I mean amazing, I mean AMAZING. You can hug the coastline the entire way (but will go very slow mind you) with stops in Cape May, Chincoteague Island, Norfolk, the Outer Banks which includes my favorites Kitty Hawk and Ocracoke Island, and the more touristy cheesy beach towns further south like Myrtle Beachor head a little inland and hug the mountains. If you go along the coast, you'll hit pretty much all famous east coast beaches and the cute towns that make them. If you have your heart on Nashville, then the beach will be a no go other than in New York or Florida.

Personally, I would skip the beach route and drive south from New York City, however you want to go (perhaps through Philadelphia and/or Washington, DC if those cities interest you) to begin your trip in Front Royal. From there, you'll pick up the Skyline Dr and start a multi-day journey through the gorgeous Shenandoah National Park, Front Royal Entrance Station. As you continue further south (mind you, this is a slow road very winding for multiple days), you'll end at Waynesboro (Virginia), where you'll quickly pick up and continue on the Blue Ridge Parkway - North Entrancee and continue down that for a day or two, passing through Asheville to of course check out one of the largest homes in the world, the Vanderbilt mansion BILTMORE HOUSE. In a couple hours you'll hit the end at Cherokee (North Carolina), which in the winter is a ski resort in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, in the summer, one of the many many cool hippie towns you'll find all along the way.

From Cherokee, depending on how many days you spent to get there, you'd decide to head over the mountain pass into Great Smoky Mountain Park and make your way to Nashville, which should be about a 5 hour drive further away from Florida, or, if you ran out of time but still have enough for Alabama and really want to visit it (???), drive from Cherokee straight to Atlanta and cut over west into Birmingham (Alabama) and drive south. But, I'd advise making Alabama another trip and instead from Cherokee, start your long journey into Florida by pointing your car toward either Charleston or Savannah (both if you can do it, but if time is short, Savannah will be the most "on the way" destination totally worth a stop). This will be your first beach opportunity since your first day of driving past DC, and Hilton Head Island makes a quick dip in the ocean since you'll be crunched for time, otherwise, Daufuskie Island is one of my favorites but requires a ferry and does not allow cars.

From Savannah, point your car toward Jacksonville taking time to stop along the coast and admire the views, and then head south as far as your plans require.

This is very important for any American road trip. Unless you absolutely must get somewhere in a hury or if it is late at night, try to route your journey on any roads that are not titled with a Blue Shield and a route number that starts with the letter "I" such as "I-95." These are what we call interstate highways, and they model after the autobahns in Germany, but are even more boring, uninteresting, sterile, and typically of "I-95" the most traffic-ridden highway in the United States. The Interstate highways get you from point A to point B with little in between and are full of traffic and lorries ("trucks" in the US). When you have the time, avoid them if you want to road trip, use them if you need to get somewhere without fuss.

For more information on the "Blue Ridge Parkway" drive, you should click here just to take a look: https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

Good luck on your journey! And if you have any questions, feel free to follow up with us all.

Eddie from Bronx

A few stops you may want to make are Philadelphia and Washington, DC to see the many landmarks they have to offer. Then you should visit Charleston and Savannah. Two Beautiful Southern towns rich in history. If you look, you’ll find free parking. Take a nice stroll, relax and enjoy the sights. There is so much to see on your drive. When possible, stop and relax in some of the small towns along the way.

1. Philadelphia (city)
  2. Washington, DC (city)
  3. Charleston (city)
  4. Savannah (city)

If I were just driving from New York City to Orlando and did not have a need to go to Ohio or Texas, my route would be different from my previous suggestions.   Breaking the trip into 3-5 hour segments of driving my route would be NYC to Hershey (as before) Hershey is a really nice little town but you could substitute Lancaster or somewhere else in the Pennsylvania Dutch country area.  Second night drive down along the mountains to Charlottesville  You could visit the University of Virginia or Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.  Next drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center to Asheville, NC. Asheville is the home of the Biltmore Hotel. From here swing over to Nashville (less than a 3 hour drive).  Then on your way to Orlando, go down through Alabama to Birmingham (Alabama) (they have a nice botanical garden and the Barber Motorsports Parkway is very near there.  Then for the last day before you get to Orlando, Go down to visit the white sand beaches along the Gulf Coast. Panama City (Florida) (or Pensacola, Destin or Fort Walton Beach but Panama City is about the right distance).  This route takes you through a variety of scenery and to different size cities and towns while avoiding the big cities like Philadelphia, Atlanta and Jacksonville which are time consuming to drive around and difficult to drive through.  Philadelphia is a nice city, but I see no reason whatever to visit Jacksonville or Atlanta

1. New York City (city)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. Hershey (city)
  4. Charlottesville (city)
  5. Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center (attraction)
  6. Nashville (city)
  7. Birmingham (Alabama) (city)
  8. Barber Motorsports Parkway (attraction)
  9. Panama City (Florida) (city)

Rachel from New York City

Hi there, 

I do not have much driving /parking advice for New York City. Driving to and fro throughout the city isn’t as easy as other cities. Most all do public transportation & cabs/Uber. Drive by at two new can take longer with traffic and searching for spaces. And parking is not cheap. Be prepared to park it for the days you are in the city & get a metrocard. That said...there is tons to do in the city! What is it you’re looking for especially?

1. New York City (city)

Skip Texas. Drive up A-1A from Miami to Jacksonville to. Stay there. Drive to Charleston. Stay in Hilton Head Island

1. Texas (state)
  2. Miami (city)
  3. Jacksonville (city)
  4. Charleston (city)
  5. Hilton Head Island (city)

From Hilton Head IslandVirginia BeachVA. Stay there. Drive to Baltimore. Go to Edgar Allan Poe Housegravesite. Eat at The Market in the Harbor. You are now 7-8 hours from New York City.

1. Hilton Head Island (city)
  2. Virginia Beach (city)
  3. Baltimore (city)
  4. Edgar Allan Poe House (attraction)
  5. New York City (city)

The cheapest place to rent a car is in Florida. Especially Orlando. Use www.carrentals.com and reserve one now. If you use hotwire.com, they make you pay up front. Make sure you confirm the reservation at carrentals under manage reservations. Miami is very expensive. I never ever go there. Fort Lauderdale and Orlando and Treasure Island are great. The best beach in Florida is Siesta Key, and it is beautiful. I love Busch Gardens in Tampa. Ft. Meyers has the Henry Ford and Thomas Edison home tours. On Monday the Ringling Circus Museum is free and THAT is my favorite thing anywhere.

1. Florida (state)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. Miami (city)
  4. Fort Lauderdale (city)
  5. Treasure Island (city)
  6. Siesta Key (city)
  7. Busch Gardens (attraction)
  8. Tampa (city)
  9. Ringling Circus Museum (attraction)