Kristi

Recommend an affordable, Central Park/Times Square, family hotel for 5 days

We will be traveling to NYC after a visit to D.C. in April. We are a family of 4 looking to stay 5 days in an affordable, clean hotel in a centrally located area.

Fritzi from San Francisco

I agree that booking.com is an excellent resource.  You can also branch out and consider airbnb, where you can filter for the entire apartment and get a kitchen.  I like to stay on the east side, which I think is quieter and less crowded.  My last location was 38th at 2nd, which was quiet and had an excellent nearby grocery store and deli.  Nothing is very far from anything in mid town Manhattan.  Most hotel rooms are $200+ plus taxes.  You can get a better value on Airbnb.

Mary from Leicester

I've stayed in central Manhattan several times over the past few years. My idea of 'affordable' may not be the same as yours but imo Manhattan hotels are ridiculously expensive year-round and even more so if they are near Times Square and/or Central Park S.

I suggest you do some research on the long-established and reliable www.booking.com , which has extensive NYC listings and...most importantly imo...reviews which can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and have completed their stay. I have used it almost exclusively for 10+ years and have found all the hotels in all the countries I've visited (30+) to be exactly as I expected from the site info and reviews.

All the Manhattan hotels I've stayed in have been around Herald Square, which has easy access on foot or by subway to Times Square (about 15 minutes on foot), Central Park (about 25 minutes), Grand Central (20 minutes, Penn Station (about 10 minutes). All have been surprisingly clean, have included breakfast (some with hot dishes, some not) and, given NYC prices, are imo decent value for money.

So I can recommend the Best Western Premier Herald Square (W 36th and the friendliest NYC hotel I've experienced) which has a pleasant rear courtyard/bar area; nyma, The New York Manhattan Hotel (W 32nd), clean, modern and pleasant; La Quinta Inn Manhattan (also W 32nd), ditto and Hotel Metro New York on W 35th, Art Deco foyer, clean and friendly with a restaurant/bar.

1. Manhattan (attraction)
  2. Times Square (attraction)
  3. Central Park S (attraction)
  4. Best Western Premier Herald Square (hotel)
  5. nyma, The New York Manhattan Hotel (hotel)
  6. La Quinta Inn Manhattan (hotel)
  7. Hotel Metro New York (hotel)

I'm a big fan of Hotel 414 . It's super-cute boutique hotel with a really lovely outdoor patio and pretty close to Times Square (although that's a VERY touristy part of the city!). 

1. Hotel 414 (hotel)
  2. Times Square (attraction)

Lorraine

Love all the Residence Inn by Marriott New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area-breakfast every day and dinner 2x a week-hard to beat! If you are a Marriott member you can get some amazing deals if you keep looking. Its great because it has the most floor space, good fridge/eating area. Our favorite hotel was the JW Marriott Essex House New York near Central Park for space (another Marriott). Hope this helps. You might want to try some timeshare or rentals with a family. Again, Res Inn has room to rest your feet and your kids.

Claudia from New York City

Hi Kristi,

We stayed (family of 4) at an Airbnb apartment on 23rd Street Kips Bay area for over a month. The apartment was tiny and basic and walking distance to the Flatiron District and the Empire State Bldg.  It had a washer/dryer. You may want to take a look: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/550063

Here's another that looks rather decent:

East Village East Village location around $200 per night: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/489018

Hotels near Times Square:

TRYP By Wyndham Times Square South and The Skyline Hotel.

We also stayed in Fairfield Inn by Marriott New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, though not centrally located it is easily accessible by train. The hotel provides free shuttle service to and from the train station. Not recommended if you don't like to take the train or if you're someone who prefers to be close to restaurants and cafes. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycfq-fairfield-inn-new-york-long-island-city-manhattan-view/