eef

Pass a week in New York in October

I am considering spending a week or so in New York to visit a relative and I am trying to find out as many varied things to keep us busy. we are two twenty somethings who enjoy night life/good music/ galleries and sporting events but are not about to have a week long booze holiday when we could be seeing more.

katie from Brooklyn

A great place to see music is Brooklyn Bowl, if you feel like venturing out that direction. It's a bit of an adventure to get there, but well worth it. A must-have is the disco fries and fried chicken.

Brooklyn Bowl

Another fun adventure to Brooklyn could include the Brooklyn Flea or Smorgasbourg. Great shopping, eating and people watching.

Brooklyn Flea Market

Smorgasburg

Not to overkill on Brooklyn, but a very unique experience would be heading out to grab pizza at Lucali in Carroll Gardens. It is BYOB, cash only, no printed menu kind of place and by far the best pizza I have ever had. Definitely get the calzone with cheese and garlic. It is unlike a regular Italian American calzone. It has a secret blend of cheeses and is light and rich all at once. Mind Blowing.

Lucali

As for in the city, the museum I love is the Museum of Arts and Design in Columbus Circle. It always has unique exhibits and isn't overhwelmingly large. It could definitely be tackled in one day.

Museum of Arts & Design

Another very typical NY thing to do would be to see a show followed by a traditional steak house. I happen to love the atmosphere and Chateaubriand at Keen's. Another of my favorites is the less traditional Quality Meats. They have excellent inventive sides and desserts and the steak tar tar prepared table side is excellent. Plus they have a wine bin where they suprise you with a wine for a set price.

Keens Steakhouse

Quality Meats

Hope this helps and have fun!

1. Brooklyn Bowl (attraction)
  2. Brooklyn Flea Market (attraction)
  3. Smorgasburg (attraction)
  4. Lucali (restaurant)
  5. Museum of Arts & Design (attraction)
  6. Keens Steakhouse (restaurant)
  7. Quality Meats (restaurant)

rich from Athens, GA

Some things that I put on my must do when in New York for Entertainment.

1. The McKittrick Hotel in Manhatten (Chelsea) - Immursive Theatre and truly an experience you will not forget.  A collaboration of   You walk around the 5 story hotel while the play goes on all around you.  I could write about it all day but there are plenty of great reviews on line

2.  Ditto for "Then She Fell" which is a little more scripted immursive theatre.  This is in Brooklyn and is an easy walk from the L train.  

3.   John Brown Smokehouse is one of the best BBQ restaraunts I've ever eaten at and I eat a lot of BBQ.  I haven't been to their new location but they are located in Queens and I think they serve beer now.  Get the Burnt Ends.  

1. John Brown Smokehouse (restaurant)
  2. The McKittrick Hotel (attraction)

Bente from Haarlem

I would definitely visit one of the botanical gardens,  Brooklyn Botanic GardenConservatory Garden or  New York Botanical Garden. Also getting some good snacks to eat at one of the benches somewhere along the  High Line Park would be a recommendation. And of course  MOMA and  Guggenheim Museum are must-sees. If you wanna see the  Statue of Liberty, I would recommend taking the  Staten Island Ferry.

1. Brooklyn Botanic Garden (attraction)
  2. Conservatory Garden (attraction)
  3. New York Botanical Garden (attraction)
  4. MOMA (attraction)
  5. Guggenheim Museum (attraction)
  6. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  7. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)
  8. High Line Park (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

Hi Eef. You mentioned visiting in October, so you may be here right now, and if you are, I have some fall suggestions.

The Queens County Farm Museum holds harvest activities all weekend through the fall, including farmers markets, corn maze, pumpkin patch and some solid apple cider to take home.

The Green-Wood Cemetery offers weekend tours of its historic grounds, focusing on famous New Yorkers, unsolved mysteries, ghosts, and architecture; I'm taking the twilight tour of the catacombs myself.

The McKittrick Hotel, the interactive art experience, has added a few extra dates around Halloween. It's expensive, but you shouldn't miss it while you're here.

BAM Rose Cinemas usually has some fall film festival lineups, and brownstone Brooklyn is a gorgeous sight in October.

Finally, the San Francisco Ballet is also visiting this month, at Lincoln Center, and everybody is pretty excited.

Enjoy your time here.

1. The Green-Wood Cemetery (attraction)
  2. Lincoln Center (attraction)
  3. Queens County Farm Museum (attraction)
  4. BAM Rose Cinemas (attraction)
  5. The McKittrick Hotel (attraction)

Tina from Bainbridge Island

I am a huge fan of Accomplice:The Show (accomplicetheshow.com). It's a walking tour/scavenger hunt/game/production that is a blast! The audience - you and your friends - are taken through the streets of NY solving clues, seeing places you might not see otherwise, meeting new people  and enjoying treats along the way. Some of the people you will encounter will be actors, but there is no way of knowing for sure who they are. It makes for some very lively conversations with perfect strangers. There are two versions, one in lower Manhattan and one in The Village. I have experienced both and can't say I liked one more than the other. Both were highly enjoyable. Check out the website, but I recommend staying away from some of the review sites for fear they will give away the (very satisfying) conclusion of the tour.