Charles
Walnut Creek, Ca

One day sight seeing in NYC- what is the best way of transportation?

I'll be in NYC for a very brief stay late September. I'll be free 9 am till 5 pm on a Sunday. I'm staying in Fort Lee, NJ. I'd like to visit 1) the 9/11 memorial sight; 2) Times Square; and 3) catch a view of the Statue of Liberty from somewhere in Manhattan. I'd appreciate knowing what transportation system(s) is best to do these few items and how to acquire schedules of operations. And, is correct change necessary on any/all of these systems?

Thanks.

Charles

Walnut Creek, CA

Polly from Washington, DC

Hi Charles. For the three things you'd like to do, I'd start at Battery Park and work your way back north. You can see the the Statue of Liberty National Monument from the southern tip of Manhattan, but if you'd like to get a closer look you can either pay for the ferry that goes to Liberty Island, or ride the Staten Island Ferry for free (takes about 1 hr round trip if you immediately get on the next ferry going back to the city once you reach Staten Island).

If you choose to do the ferry, I'd have lunch next, then visit the Ground Zero. If you're content seeing the statue from Manhattan, I'd do the 9/11 Memorial before lunch, then head up to Chinatown New York or the Lower East Side (maybe Katz's Delicatessen) for food.

Finally, I'd visit Times Square. You can also walk around NBC (NY) Employees FCU, Bryant Park (a nice antidote to Times Square), and Grand Central Terminal while you're in the area.

For traveling within Manhattan, the subway is generally best. To use it, you'll purchase a metrocard - it's $2.50 per ride plus $1 for the reusable card. (If you pay for multiple rides upfront, you get a few cents off.) Your change will come back to you in $1 coins, so it's best to have close to the correct amount, or just use a debit/credit card. Trains run approx. every 5-10 minutes during the day and the MTA's website is pretty useful - since you're visiting on the weekend, check for any service changes. Taxis are okay for short trips or if you're not feeling up to using the subway - most cabs are equipped to take debit/credit cards as well as cash.

As for getting to and from Jersey, you could take a bus across the GW Bridge and then switch to the subway. But a nicer option might be taking the ferry. I see there's one not too far from Fort Lee in Edgewater that can drop you off at 39th Street, or one at Port Imperial / Weehawken that can drop you off at Pier 11 / Wall St.. Honestly, I'm only familiar with taking New Jersey transit to/from Hoboken or Secaucus, so I'll let someone else advise you on this part of your trip. Enjoy your day in NYC!

1. Battery Park (attraction)
  2. Statue of Liberty National Monument (attraction)
  3. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)
  4. Ground Zero (attraction)
  5. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  6. Lower East Side (attraction)
  7. Katz's Delicatessen (restaurant)
  8. Times Square (attraction)
  9. NBC (NY) Employees FCU (attraction)
  10. Bryant Park (attraction)
  11. Grand Central Terminal (attraction)
  12. Fort Lee (city)
  13. Edgewater (city)
  14. Port Imperial / Weehawken (attraction)
  15. Pier 11 / Wall St. (attraction)

Jenny from New Jersey

Also download uber as it is a fast way to get a cab and is cheaper. 

The subways are crazy confusing in NY so study the map a little before you go. and buy a metro card for the day. 

Sebastian from Brewster, New York

Hello Charles,

Subway, buses, Uber , city bikes and taxi in order of speed.

For the subway you should be able to get a metro card w/ a credit card that you can "charge with credits" but also make sure to have cash on you as well since the Credit card terminals are sometimes known to not be operational at the ticketing machines and when that happens it'll only take cash. there are MTA apps that you can download that will help you with schedules and info. Just type MTA, MNR, Metro north on the APP store and you'll see them.

Some buses also take the metro cards and all take money (change or bills). They also have APPS for the schedules.Again type MTA, MNR, Metro north and you'll find them.

Use your Uber APP for Uber

Use credit cards for the City bikes or become a member. Here is their site ( http://www.citibikenyc.com/?)

Taxis are available all over but depending on time of day they can be difficult to flag down hence my recommendation for them being last.

All the best and enjoy your trip!!

Seb

Bryan from Richmond Hill

There are things like hop-on/hop-off tour buses you can get. I would honestly recommend you get a card for the subway and spend some time mapping out a route. It's simple, cheap, and a great way to get around once you get the hang of it.

Veronica from New York City

Don't take the subway! It's confusing and you'll miss everything travelling underground. Take any of the hop on and off buses, you'll be able to see the whole city in around 4 to 5 hours with a tour guide explaining everything you see. Enjoy!

Raman from New York City

subway. 1/2/3 train of 4/5/6 train 

Laurie from New York City

From Fort Lee you can take an über and take the Ferry from port imperial to midtown. Cab it down to 9/11 memorial once in NYC side and you can also see Statue of Liberty walking down in that area

1. Fort Lee (city)
  2. Statue of Liberty (attraction)

Barbara from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

If you don't know the NYC subway system, it can be confusing. The Hop on and off bus will drop you off close to the sites you want to see. Make a list of what you want to see so you plan out a route especially with your time constraints.

Barbara from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Get a ticket for the Hop on and off bus, it brings you all around the city. You will get to see the most sites with this bus, along with a narrative of places you are going to.  Have fun!!

michael from New York City

subway get a metro card

marco from United States

subway