Brian
Vancouver

New York with a 10 & 14 year old boys

Hi all,

I am going to New York with my two nephews.  We are staying close to Times Square for 5 days.

The are typical boys who have interests in computers, science, museums, amusements parks, theatre shows, all things chocolate and candy. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Gracias,

Melissa from Massachusetts

Definitely the American Museum of Natural History - dinosaurs, space, science, lots of cool stuff.  That place is great and I think the boys will love it. I also second the M&M's World store in Times Square - but pass on the Hershey Store (it's small and crowded and there's nothing fun or exciting in there). There's also Nintendo World if they're Mario fans.

People might think of The Metropolitan Museum of Art as just a big art museum that's not kid-friendly, but there are some sections the boys might think are super-cool - I'm thinking in particular of the Temple of Dendur in the Egyptian section and the awesome Hall of Arms and Armor (knights and swords!).

Hit up the TKTS Times Square booth for discounted day-of Broadway shows - there are a few musicals out right now that kids could really like, such as Matilda or School of Rock.

You could also do something like a walking tour of pizza or something similar.

1. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  2. M&M's World (attraction)
  3. Nintendo World (attraction)
  4. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  5. TKTS Times Square (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Brian,

I almost hesitated to respond to your question.  Diane Gordon beat me to most of the best suggestions!

I would like to add a few things, though.

I don't know if you've anything like it in Toronto, but New York's Chinatown New York is a fun, and inexpensive treat.  Just walking through can be great fun.

Finally, I heartily recommend the Tenement Museum, 97 Orchard Street, in the lower east side. This 1860's building is set up to reflect the various immigrant groups the settled in that area throughout the years. Each apartment is setup to reflect immigrants of different origins, and costumed actors recreate the day to day lives of these people. The ground floor is set up as a business from the past. There are walking tours of the neighborhood, as well as various events throughout the year. Highly recommended!

I also suggest the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.  Yes, it get mobbed with tourists, but it's historic, impressive, and breezy relief on a warm day.

Finally, if you're in town on an inclement day, or are simply looking for a unique diversion, consider visiting Escape The Room NYC.  Better than an arcade (do they still exist?) the Escape room is an interactive event that requires the participants to think and work together.  You can find more info at,

http://www.mysteryroomnyc.com/

Happy Travels!

1. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  2. Tenement Museum (attraction)
  3. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  4. Escape The Room NYC (attraction)

Bonnie from United States

Coney Island would be fun for the afternoon. If you're looking for science museums American Museum of Natural History is great!

The Skyscraper Museum is a lovely small museum if they want to check out some city models or the Queens Museum has a huge model of the city.

1. Coney Island (neighborhood)
  2. American Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  3. The Skyscraper Museum (attraction)
  4. Queens Museum (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

M&M's World is right at Times Square if you want to give them a chocolate treat. If you don't want to queue up for any of the water tours, the Staten Island Ferry is free and gives a great view of the city and the Statue of Liberty. You might not find much to do over on the Island, so just take the ferry across and then turn around inside the terminal and head back - it's the view coming back that's the money shot.

1. M&M's World (attraction)

Diane from New York City

Central Park ZooAmerican Museum of Natural History (great dinosaurs ) South Street Seaport

The USS Intrepid ( great museum on a battleship )  

Broadway if u can afford it  

Aladdin , school of Rock ( usually at 1/2 price booth)  

Statue of Liberty, monster speed boat ride around Manhattan  

Madame Tussauds New York

That should keep them busy

1. Central Park Zoo (attraction)
  3. South Street Seaport (attraction)
  4. USS Intrepid (neighborhood)
  5. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
  6. Madame Tussauds New York (attraction)

Julie from Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Sony Wonder Technology Lab - It allows kids to play with their newest technology located at 11 Madison Ave.  Central Park always has something going on for kids and its free!

1. Sony Wonder Technology Lab (attraction)
  2. Central Park (attraction)