Gail

NYC highlights for a 10 day honeymoon

My niece and her husband asked me to recommend my New York highlights. They are visiting on their honeymoon and will be In NY for 10 days in July. It has been a while since I lived there and I was wondering if I need updating?

Fiona

10 days is a long time for NYC. July is also super hot. Not sure of their budget, but here's what I would do:

Limit the city time to 4 days to:

- hit the NY must dos (Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Central Park, museums, Grand Central Station, Times Square, Bronx Zoo etc)

- do some alternative sites (the High Line Park, Brooklyn Flea Market, a NY food tour…)

- eat and drink (check out eater.com for the best places to go)

- see some manhattan neighborhoods - the West Village, Greenwich Village, Harlem, Chinatown New York

- spend some quality time in brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Williamsburg, Fort Greene…)

I would stay anywhere BUT Midtown Manhattan - not sure of their budget but somewhere like the Chelsea Highline Hotel in west chelsea could be good

They should then head out to The Hamptons and spend some time at the beach. Again, I don't know their budget but there are some lovely towns and hotels out there. Montauk is furthest out and lovely and laid back. Southampton is more "new york city by the beach". You can get there on the train, take the jitney or rent a car and drive.

Hope they enjoy!

1. Empire State Building (attraction)
  2. Ellis Island (attraction)
  3. Central Park (attraction)
  4. Grand Central Station (attraction)
  5. Times Square (metro area)
  6. Bronx Zoo (attraction)
  7. High Line Park (attraction)
  8. Brooklyn Flea Market (attraction)
  9. West Village (neighborhood)
  10. Greenwich Village (neighborhood)
  11. Harlem (neighborhood)
  12. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
  13. Brooklyn Heights (attraction)
  14. DUMBO (attraction)
  15. Williamsburg (neighborhood)
  16. Fort Greene (neighborhood)
  17. Midtown Manhattan (neighborhood)
  18. Chelsea Highline Hotel (hotel)
  19. The Hamptons (region)
  20. Montauk (city)
  21. Southampton (city)

John from San Francisco

Gail,

This is a pretty broad question. NYC has something for everyone. It depends on what your niece and her newlywed husband are into: Arts, Music, Indoors, Outdoors, Food, Clubs, Exercise, People Watching, etc.

My top 10 

list for romantics (who are not afraid of water or heights):

10. A trip to The Cloisters

9. View of Manhattan as it fades away in the backdrop on an evening Staten Island Ferry ride from Battery Park PierBattery to Staten Island

8. A lazy afternoon picnic on Strawberry Fields in Central Park

7. View from the top of the Empire State Building

6. Peddle boat ride on lake, launched from Central Park Boathouse followed by lunch The Loeb Boathouse Central Park restaurant

5. Carriage Ride around Central Park Loop at night

4. Visit to the Egyptian Art @ The Metropolitan Museum of Art

3. Taking in a play on Broadway

2. Taking your sweetheart to any of the thousands of high brow or low brow, fantastic romantic restaurants across the 5 boroughs... old favorite is Mas & a new one that I've been dying to try is Zenkichi in Brooklyn

1. Walking and people watching -- one of my old favorite haunts, where I would meet friends was on the steps to St. Patricks Cathedral. And from there, traipsing across the city and meeting the friendly (albeit fast moving) people on the streets where they live. Any one of them can give your relatives a list of their favorite past-times and NYC gems and will, in a heartbeat, if asked.

1. The Cloisters (attraction)
  2. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)
  3. Battery Park Pier (attraction)
  4. Staten Island (island)
  5. Strawberry Fields (attraction)
  6. Central Park (attraction)
  7. Empire State Building (attraction)
  8. Central Park Boathouse (attraction)
  9. The Loeb Boathouse Central Park (restaurant)
  10. Carriage Ride (attraction)
  11. Central Park Loop (attraction)
  12. Egyptian Art @ The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  13. Broadway (attraction)
  14. Mas (restaurant)
  15. Zenkichi (restaurant)
  16. St. Patricks Cathedral (attraction)

I'm not sure what they're into, but I would suggest the The Promenade for sure. Not only is the area really cute and pretty and full of great people watching, but the view of the city is insane. I'd also suggest a walk along the Brooklyn Bridge. It's such a beautiful structure in and of itself plus the view is insane. 

Also, I don't know if they're be there for the 4th, but the fireworks on the East River are pretty fabulous and very, very romantic!

1. The Promenade (attraction)
  2. Brooklyn Bridge (attraction)
  3. East River (attraction)

Ashley from Everywhere

Exciting! We'd be happy to help--we've both lived in New York for years, though we each just recently moved (one of us has been gone for about 18 months, the other just left last week!). Below are a few links to very recent posts we wrote offering NYC tips:

Gramercy Park (Gramercy)

Midtown Manhattan (Midtown)

Murray Hill (Murray Hill)

Outdoor bars & restaurants

1. Gramercy Park (neighborhood)
  2. Midtown Manhattan (neighborhood)
  3. Murray Hill (neighborhood)