Global
Grand Cayman

Global from Grand Cayman asked

NYC for experienced visitors?

Hi - I have been to New York on numerous occasions and like to try something new every time I visit (e.g. when I was last in town I did the helitour, which was great). Is anyone able to recommend cool things to do beyond the usual New York recommendations for first-time visitors? 

New York City (New York)

Scott from San Francisco

Go to the The Frick Collection and experience a different era of NYC life.  Eat the best bagel in the world at EssaBagel (preferably an everything bagel with cream cheese, nova, tomato and onion).   Check out B&H for electronics and cameras, if you like those sorts of things, it's like no other store in the country.  Go walk the Bowery and check out the many many lighting stores and cooking supply stores.  And eat a donut from the Doughnut Plant.  

jami
The Doughnut Plant is awesome!!!!!

1. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  2. EssaBagel (restaurant)
  3. B&H (attraction)
  4. Doughnut Plant (restaurant)
Nars from Boston

If you are in a mood for art, consider:

Rubin Museum of Art or The Cloisters or Neue Galerie New York or The Frick Collection or the new Whitney Museum

If you are short for time, try touring the MET with Museum Hack

1. Rubin Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. The Cloisters (attraction)
  3. Neue Galerie New York (attraction)
  4. The Frick Collection (attraction)
  5. Whitney Museum (attraction)
  6. Museum Hack (attraction)
jami from New York City

Immerse yourself in the cultures that helped make NYC what it is...a true melting pot. Head over to Flushing and stroll through their Chinatown. Go sing karaoke in Korea Town. Check out the Russian crowd in Brighton Beachfor some great vodka. Mostly, try and get out of Manhattan, there are so many great things happening in the other boroughs that make New York so great! Timeout.com is a great website/resource as is NYCgo.gov.  There is always a festival or an event that takes you away from Times Square or the usual haunts. Get a metrocard and get out there and explore!

1. Flushing (attraction)
  2. Korea Town (attraction)
  3. Brighton Beach (attraction)
Rie from New York City

I'd say get out to either Flushing or Jackson Heights (New York) & explore the yummy, reasonably priced cuisine.

Flushing: New World Mall Food Court is ground zero - step one: go to the ATM (most stalls are cash only), step two: move your feet to the beat; and that beat should take you to the 7 train Main Street Flushing stop, step three: get into that bldg. & dive in.

Jackson Heights (New York): Repeat steps one & two, but this time the beat should take you to the E, F, M, R or 7 trains to 74th Street Jackson Heights. This hood has great Indian, Himalayan & Latin food - both on the street (hi there Arepa lady!) & in restaurants.

In both places there are, of course, grocery stores that have a bevy of Indian, Latin & Asian specialties that aren't so easy to come by elsewhere. I'm a fan of getting souvenirs in local supermarkets - sue me.   

As always, that's my 2 cents. Enjoy!

1. Flushing (attraction)
  2. Jackson Heights (New York) (attraction)
  3. New World Mall Food Court (attraction)
  4. Jackson Heights (New York) (attraction)

Hello Global Traveler! I am not sure if this is going to sound like a good plan to you but I did it once and did not feel disappointed at all. Southampton is a village steeped in rich history blended with contemporary affluence. A charming main street lined by pretty shops and restaurants and area beaches framed by Atlantic waters are a draw. You can do sightseeing walks in and around the area discovering the history culture of it. We took the Hampton Jitney bus in Manhattan (7th Av btwn 54 & 55) and we arrived in just 3 hours. You can buy the tickets on line.

Hope this helps!

1. Southampton (city)
Qinyi Chen from Hangzhou, China

google sleep no more