Gina
Minneapolis

NYC Bars

Looking for a couple of great drinking holes for an upcoming trip with my husband and his parents. Would like some classic places for them and some trendier places for us.

Rachel from Los Angeles

I tell all the girls on my team to check out Merc Bar... I definitely had my day there. From the cocktails to the music, Bemelmans Baris so sophiticated. Boom Boom Room lounge is one of my all time favorites. I'll never tire of this one!

1. Merc Bar (restaurant)
  2. Bemelmans Bar (restaurant)
  3. Boom Boom Room (restaurant)

Grant from New York City

Pete's Tavern is the oldest (continually operational) bar in NYC.  No tourist trap here, which  McSorley's Old Ale House is guilty of a bit.  Thursday after work it's packed with locals who have been coming for years.  Expect to bring $1 for each round you're there, the juke box is full of classics.

Boat Basin Café on the Upper West Side is a one of a kind bar.  Stationed INSIDE the West Side Highway roundabout, and right on the waterfront, it's a seasonal spot that tends to be busier on crisp days in early Fall.

As for trendy spots:

The Beer Garden at  The Standard New York is a place to be scene, without itself being too sceney.  Upstairs has dimmer lights and more upscale drink offerings.

1. McSorley's Old Ale House (restaurant)
  2. The Standard New York (hotel)
  3. Pete's Tavern (attraction)
  4. Boat Basin Café (attraction)

Tandy from Miami

One of my favorite NYC bars is actually at a hotel.  The view from the Plunge Rooftop Bar & Lounge at The Gansevoort at the Hotel Gansevoort is insane! You can practically see into people’s apartments. As I remember it’s not a full 360 degree view of the city but it’s pretty close and on a clear day it’s just amazing. There’s also a pool up there (thus the name, Plunge!) and you can take your drinks poolside (or at least, we did). They do sometimes have fairly large dance parties up there so I would ask before bringing your in-laws but otherwise it couldn’t be any better! And by the way, if heights freak you out, you can drink inside. 

1. Plunge Rooftop Bar & Lounge at The Gansevoort (attraction)
  2. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)

Megan from Winston Salem

As far as trendy bars,  Apothéke (http://www.apothekenyc.com) has been on my list for quite some time—I haven't been yet, but I hear it's fantastic. 

1. Apothéke (restaurant)