Pablo
Chañaral, Chile

Pablo from Chañaral, Chile asked

How much money do I need to live for about 10 days in New York (2 people)

Hi, I have been feeling a lot curiosity get to know the big apple, I have seen that hotels are pretty expensive there, but I don´t know about food and transportation, do you have a budget for a daily survival?

Susan from Okahandja

Hi Pablo, if you are willing to stay just outside Manhattan in Queens, you can get good accommodation for not so much money. If you go budget on eats , like buying from street food stalls and maybe Chinese food, you can get way with about U$30 per person per day. Transport is always better to buy a 3-day ticket for the underground. Then you can travel as much as you like. I cannot remember how much that was per person, but it was not very cheap. Try Hotel Vetiver in Queens. Very close to the trains and they bake lovely fresh muffins in the mornings, you can eat for free ! Lovely room with good views on Manhattan , with two double beds and small balcony. We paid about U$ 630 for 3 nights and we were three adults and one child. That was in June this year.

1. Queens (attraction)
Polly from Washington, DC

You can spend thousands of dollars, easily, on ten days in New York.  If you're looking to do it on more of a budget, here's what I recommend.

Rent a place on AirBnB within 4 blocks of the subway. You should know that most AirBnBs in the city are technically illegal because of city hotel laws, but loads of people use them every day anyway. (The worst that could happen to you is that you find yourself without a place to stay, but it's very unlikely to happen.) A place like this one in Brooklyn, steps from the train, not far from Manhattan, and in a neighborhood with coffee shops and restaurants, is ideal. Cost= ~$120 a night

For food, buy breakfast items at a grocery store your first day (Trader Joe's in Union Sq is relatively inexpensive for decent quality food) and eat a meal before you go out most mornings. Research NYC cheap eats and then splurge a few times for lunch and dinner. Cost= $60 per day

Buy a seven day metrocard for $31 each (note that you can't share these, as they are timed so that the card can't be used twice within five minutes), then buy a pay-per-use one for the last three days. Plan your trip by neighborhood to minimize how many times you have to use your metrocard per day, especially the last three days. Cost= ~$50 each

Finally, save at least $150 per person for shows, museums, etc. There's a lot of cheap and free stuff to do in the city, but lots of the cultural things people come to see cost money. You can save on some of these things (Tkts booth for cheap Broadway tickets, paying less at the Met or the Natural History Museum). Also, keep in mind one of the best things to do is just walk around the city, which is always free!

All together, I'd budget $1500 for a "cheap", week-long trip. You might be able to get by with less, but that could put you in sketchy situations I wouldn't recommend.

Kathryn from London

How much you'll need depends a lot on what you consider necessary. Personally, I'd look for a room in an apartment on AirBnB with kitchen and maybe laundry access. Cooking for yourself, at least part of the time, can lower your expenses a lot. 

Pay special attention to what's in the neighborhood where you're staying. I once made the mistake of not checking out the neighborhood first, and when I arrived, found that the bodegas carried no fruit and there were no coffee shops near by, which made my stay less enjoyable. 

You can get a refillable card for the transit system, which works on the subway and buses. Also, if yore staying in the city, it is very walkable. 

Fritzi from San Francisco

Purchase a metropass for unlimited bus and subway rides. You can get a 30 day pass, sorry I don't recall the exact price but it is very reasonable, maybe $35 or $40 for the month. You can buy a pass at any subway booth with a person in it. Try to avoid hailing taxis, that will save you a lot of money.  

As far as food goes, there are so many reasonably priced ethnic restaurants and they are endlessly reviewed in print and on line. You have Chinese, Indian, Greek, pizza, delicatessens. These are casual places and you can eat for $12 to $15/person. If you have $40 to $50 a day you can definitely manage. This is not fancy sit down restaurants but places where the working people eat. 

Most grocery stores also have a salad or hot buffet where you pay by weight. Remember 8 to 10 million people have to be fed in NYC every day so there is no scarcity of options. 

Have fun.

Bruno from Amadora

With 500$ u can do a very good trip