Nick
Florida

Honeymoon hotel close to subway and under $300/night?

My fiance and I are traveling to NYC in March for our honeymoon and would like to stay in a hotel that would be perfect for a honeymoon, but also near (a couple of blocks) a subway station. We'd like to spend less than $300 a night as we are going for 5-7 days.

Teresa from New York City

I would look for hotels in the lowest part of Manhattan, there are several new ones opening up down here.  I live in the Financial District and you can get to 8-10 lines in a few minutes walk.

1. Manhattan (attraction)
  2. Financial District (attraction)

Dea from New York City

The Inn on 23rd is adorable and very romantic. Also very close to subway stations although I don't know that I would worry about that too much. In New York you're never too far from public transportation.

1. The Inn on 23rd (hotel)

Melvese from Bronx, New York

Check out the Lucerne Hotel. I stayed there for my birthday trip to NY last weekend. 

1. Lucerne Hotel (hotel)

Fritzi from San Francisco

There is an excellent Groupon for a NYC hotel right now.  This is an outstanding rate for a midtown hotel.  Doubletree is one of the higher Hilton brands and from this location you can get everywhere.  Have a great trip; I am going myself in a few weeks and I plan to visit the Ground Zero9/11 Museum.  If you have any interest in financials, the free tour of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is free (you must book in advance) and so interesting. Enjoy.

4-Star DoubleTree in Midtown Manhattan New York City — The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel MetropolitanStay for two, with dates into AprilSave 17%   From $99$119

1. Ground Zero (attraction)
  2. Federal Reserve Bank of New York (attraction)

Georgia from Long Island (New York)

location location location...

although there are really no areas of Manhattan left "unimproved" this can mean a lot of things.  the only areas challenged for subway access are those far eastside and westside - maybe 4-5 blocks from a stop- but NY is a walkers city (traffic!) so that shouldn't be a good-deal deal-killer because those areas are also less congested and more prone to offer anything resembling a good rate.  March weather is iffy, but since NY is such a popular destination 365/24/7, the larger hotels will always be busy with conventions and groups.  I suggest checking with sites like booking.com or tripadvisor for recommendations for smaller boutique hotels or B&Bs.  NY is always under construction- more so these days- so I would be more concerned by a location with nearby street/building construction so always ask.  the irony is that the best views of Manhattan are from surrounding Jersey City NJ, Brooklyn Heights and Long Island City, Queens which are a short train ride away - these too might offer good options.  the areas around Central Park, midtown tourist sites (Times Sq, Broadway) are crazy busy and crowded so I would not recommend these areas for any price.  there are so many new and small hotels downtown and around major train hubs like Grand Central and Union Square so I would look at travel sites for "recent" recommendations (everything always changing)- because no matter where you stay, almost everything you might want to see and do is a train/bus stop away.

Kat from Brooklyn

I would definitely recommend The Mark Hotel.  It's about two blocks from the 6 train at 77th Street and half a block to Central Park.  Gorgeous in so many ways.

You may also want to consider the Alchemy Suite at the Dylan Hotel as well as the Lafayette House and Mercer Hotel.  If you're really into books, the Library Hotel is also quite lovely I hear.

1. The Mark Hotel (hotel)
  2. Dylan Hotel (hotel)
  3. Lafayette House (hotel)
  4. Mercer Hotel (hotel)
  5. Library Hotel (hotel)

Jennifer from New York City

The The Marlton Hotel is a fantastic, charming hotel in Greenwich Village. Not super close to a subway (closest is West 4th Street), but by far the best and most economical for a Honeymoon. 

1. The Marlton Hotel (hotel)