Rajesh
New Delhi, India

Rajesh from New Delhi, India asked

Historical places to visit in New York

Hey guys, what are some interesting historic places to visit in New York?

Larry from Hopewell Junction

Spencer from New York City

Definitely look into the Tenement Museum which takes you back in time to early NYC immigration. 

From their website:

We tell the stories of 97 Orchard Street. Built on Manhattan's Lower East Side in 1863, this tenement apartment building was home to nearly 7000 working class immigrants.

They faced challenges we understand today: making a new life, working for a better future, starting a family with limited means.

In recognizing the importance of this seemingly ordinary building, the Tenement Museum has re-imagined the role that museums can play in our lives.

1. Tenement Museum (attraction)

I went to Federal Hall National Memorial the last time I was in town and found it fascinating. Somehow, even though I grew up there I had never seen it--it's where George Washington took his oath of office and the displays there are amazing. Great tourism center there, too if you need help with anything. I know this is a little obvious, but I would check out Ellis Island which, as I'm sure you know, was at one time the checkpoint for all immigrants coming to the U.S.

Again, not wildly original, but the United Nations Headquarters is a pretty fascinating place not to mention a very interesting one architecturally. You should probably also check out the New-York Historical Society. I don't know that it's historic in and of itself, but they have great exhibitions on the history of New York. 

Juli
Definitely Ellis Island if you have any possibility that any of your ancestors entered through there. I was thrilled to find both my father who came through there at age 2, and my grandfather on my mother’s side who also came over as a teenager on manifests there. It was so exciting!

Courtney
What a cool story, Juli!

Adam
The New York Historical Society is a great place for 'smaller historical things'

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Have a beer at McSorley's Old Ale House. It's got soul.