Monica
Miami

Heading to watch a play in NYC. Any exciting restaurants?

I'll be in NYC to watch a play and I want to eat somewhere spectacular.  Any recommendations???

Hey, Monica,

Assuming you're going to see that play in the Theater District - Times Square I would try any of the following:

Joe Allen Restaurant - this is where just about every actor in a Broadway show goes to eat before curtain. My favorite thing about this place is that you can always see people eating alone and talking to themselves because they're going over lines. :) Also, all the posters on the walls are of shows that bombed. 

Chez Napoleon - I don't remember when this place wasn't here. It feels like some little quirky Parisian cafe. The food is good and it's pretty reasonable. Fabulous escargot if you like that. Tout va bien- Again another French restaurant that has been there for ages. It's pretty cramped (the tables are so close together that it almost feels like communal seating) but a lot of fun. If I'm remembering correctly, that have great French onion soup. I've never been here when it wasn't packed. 

1. Theater District - Times Square (neighborhood)
  2. Joe Allen Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Chez Napoleon (restaurant)
  4. Tout va bien (restaurant)

If you want a truly memorable experience and can blow the budget, then head to 3 starred Le Bernardin or Per Se-only 13 restaurants on their level in the US.

1. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
  2. Per Se (restaurant)

Maren

Definitely, Lidia Bastianich's Becco in Hell's Kitchen. Exquisite food. Great Service. Amazing $25 Bottle List of Italian wines plus a more expansive list for wine connoisseurs. The daily endless pasta trip is a must!

1. Becco (restaurant)

Michelle from Melbourne

If you're going to be in midtown, I'd recommend Betony where two ex-Eleven Madison Park people are running both the kitchen and front of house. Loved the food, loved the ambiance. If you go, please say hi from me to the lovely Argentinian waiter Henry!

1. Betony (restaurant)

Travis from Woodstock, Ontario

There are 2 places that I always recommend: 

Please Don't Tell ( a fun restaurant hidden behind a phone booth)

And The Burger Joint (also hidden it's a simple burger place with a very basic menu but it's fun to see the crazy place - lots of people, writing on the walls, etc - behind a curtain in a swanky hotel)

Also if you're in NYC for shows you'd love to go for drinks at Marie's Crisis Cafe - the most fun night I've ever had in the City.

1. Please Don't Tell (attraction)
  2. The Burger Joint (restaurant)
  3. Marie's Crisis Cafe (restaurant)

David from Atlanta

Where I love:

1. Claudette : Great French, N. African fused food.

2. Saxon + Parole : Great drinks, scene, and excellent F2T creative plates

3. Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill: Excellent izakaya. Flawless japanese.

What's on my list:

1. New location for Dirt Candy: totally creative

2. Prune: Great book, chef

3. Beauty & Essex: Looks awesome

1. Claudette (restaurant)
  2. Saxon + Parole (restaurant)
  3. Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  4. Dirt Candy (restaurant)
  5. Prune (restaurant)
  6. Beauty & Essex (restaurant)

Michael from Brooklyn

A few of my favorites are DanielLe Bernardin and db Bistro Moderne

1. Daniel (restaurant)
  2. Le Bernardin (restaurant)
  3. db Bistro Moderne (restaurant)

Fritzi from San Francisco

One thing I love to do before or after the theater is drinks at the revolving rooftop bar at the New York Marriott Marquis hotel at 45th and Broadway. The city views are awesome. There is a buffet, but it is not as special as a restaurant dinner.  

I'm visiting Mahattan soon and dining at Gato (Bobby Flay's new restaurant). But the downtown location is not good for the theater district. Find a great midtown restaurant that caters to theater goers' schedules.

1. New York Marriott Marquis (hotel)
  2. Gato (restaurant)

Liza from New York City

Hi Monica,

Becco is a great spot for theater-goers and I highly recommend it... especially if you love pasta! 

If you don't need to stay need the theater district, Il Bucoil Buco Alimentari & Vineria are spectacular Italian restaurants! Jeffrey's Grocery in the West Village and ABC Kitchen near Union Square are also a spectacular restaurants!

If you need other restaurants throughout the city, please feel free to check out my restaurant blog: http://wp.me/p4iPrh-aR

Enjoy NYC!

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Il Buco (restaurant)
  3. il Buco Alimentari & Vineria (restaurant)
  4. Jeffrey's Grocery (restaurant)
  5. ABC Kitchen (restaurant)

Chelsy from Los Angeles

Well Depends on your style My fav is Minetta Tavern icon in the village. Make reservations

1. Minetta Tavern (restaurant)