Fun must-do things in NYC

My last few trips to the big apple have been so full of school and visiting with friends and family that I feel like I haven't truly experienced all of what the city has to offer.  With my upcoming extended just-for-fun trip, I'd like to fix that!  

I think that the most New York-y things I've done is walk around 5th Ave, gone to some of the famous stores there and been up the Empire State building.  What else should I do?

Chase from Seattle

Even though it's touristy, the observation deck at The  Empire State Building's observation deck is dope!  

I'm not a huge fan of musicals - but Book of Mormon is amazing - this is the best one i've seen.   High Line Park is a great place to get outside for a stroll in NYC.   Times Square is so much neon, a must see especially at night.  The  MOMA is a must and The Metropolitan Museum of Art is probably the most important museum on usa soil.

1. Book of Mormon (attraction)
  2. Times Square (metro area)
  3. Empire State Building (attraction)
  4. MOMA (attraction)
  5. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  6. High Line Park (attraction)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Go to The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I think this is my favorite museum in the world. Such insane diversity... from paintings to archeological artifacts. I personally love the South Pacific room with awesome carvings and masks and canoes, and the Egyptian stuff... but everything here is great. I love the Met.

If you walk, swing by The Central Park Boathouse for a drink after. One of the more peaceful places in Central Park and a great destination to have, as opposed to just meandering through the park. This is a restaurant that sits on a lake (not to be confused with the little lake that rents out electric boats) and is one of the more beautiful places to get a drink and relax in the city (food is good too). I've been here on sunny days, during torrential downpours and during winter, and its been enjoyable every time. I love this place. Good times. 

High Line Park is very cool. Stop off at the Standard for a drink in the upstairs lounge bar, or pop down to the meatpacking district.

Another good place for a drink is The Standard New York. It's a hotel and I wouldn't stay there, necessarily, but the upstairs bar/lounge has one of the best views in NY. Its on my have to do list when in NY. If the weather is great, the views over the Hudson to the Statue of Liberty are epic. Great place to start a night out in the meatpacking district.

Pentop Bar is a good spot to pop in for a drink if you're in the area, for sure. If you're downtown in Tribeca or the Meatpacking district, the views from the top of the St. James or the Standard are probably better (but more of a "scene").

Pylones is a great place to pop in to just watch the action and movement of the people and city. If you want to relax, grab a bellini at Cipriani Downtown that overlooks the main terminal and watch the ants marching. Nice stop off.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. The Central Park Boathouse (restaurant)
  3. The Standard New York (hotel)
  4. Pylones (attraction)
  5. Cipriani Downtown (restaurant)
  6. High Line Park (attraction)
  7. Pentop Bar (attraction)

Melissa from St. John's, Newfoundland

If you haven't done it before you really need to try  Accomplice - it's part interactive mystery theatre, part scavenger hunt, part walking tour. It's the one thing I recommend over and over to my friends who visit the city.

Each time I visit I also make a point to ride the  Central Park Carousel. It's fun acting like a big kid.

1. Accomplice (attraction)
  2. Central Park Carousel (attraction)

Veronica from San Francisco

When are you going? The weather should still be good through the fall for a stroll on the High Line Park! And it's totally free :)

1. High Line Park (attraction)